Ch. 18: Whispers in The Wind

I had made it through the rest of the day at school, thankfully. I was ready to be home and just chill out. Life had been so busy since coming to Appleberry. Between school, learning the family history, learning spells and potions, trying to figure out how to transform, and the love fest. Which, I didn't want to have. It was all weighing me down.
It was something I didn't want. I knew I was strong enough to take it. I was just tired. My mind felt like it had been set ablaze with every new piece of information I was given and learning. Now, I have Kal, Bowie, and Phoenix to think about.
I liked all three of them. I shouldn't like Kal because he was a teacher. That one was obvious. Bowie was always a mix of cold and hot. When it felt right, it was ruined with him being cold and mean. That was something I didn't understand. Then, there is Phoenix. He was so nice. He never once acted mean in anyway or push himself on me. He was different from Kal and Bowie.
I bought a bean bag chair to put at the window the other day and it had come in. I wanted it so, when I fell asleep at the window, I would be comfortable. I opened the window and fell onto the bean bag. I covered up and laid there.
I watched the birds flying and the autumn trees swaying in the wind. It was beautiful, and the smell of the earthiness, firewood, and chilly night was overwhelming my senses.
There was a peck on my door. I waved my hand for the door to open. It was one of the new tricks I had learned. Moving stuff with my mind.
"I see you learned that one quick." It was Frankie.
I stared out the window. "It was one of the most useful ones."
Frankie giggled. "Of course, that is what you think."
Frankie walked over and sat down beside me on the floor. "How are you doing?"
I looked over at her. "I am okay."
"Why did you do it? You could have been killed." Frankie's tone got serious.
I sighed, trying my best not to roll my eyes. "Franks, I am fine. I just needed to be alone. Everything is becoming too much. It just keeps piling up."
Frankie put a hand on my arm. "Sloane, you out of all people, I know can take everything that is being thrown at you."
"I know, Franks. But that still doesn't make it any less tiring or make me feel like I'm getting closed in by everything." I gave her genuine smile.
She looked out the window. "Sloane, why do you keep sitting at the window? Every morning I have come in to wake you up. You are here, window opened, and it is like a meat freezer."
I shrugged. "I am not sure. I just like it. It makes me feel at ease and comfortable. I don't know how else to explain it."
Frankie got up and looked down at me. "Well, if you get a cold, I will take care of you."
I smiled. "Thank you, Franks."
"I am going to go down and ordering dinner. Do you want me to call you down when it is here?" She dug out her phone to make the call.
"No, I am just tired. I will eat in the morning. Thanks though." I smiled to her and stared back out the window.
It is weird how sitting at the window and freezing my ass off makes me feel more at ease than being around everyone. I could feel it, a presence. Even though I couldn't see it. It made me sink into a nostalgia of when things use to be good. It made me happy.
The smell of musk, firewood, leather, and cleanliness. It wasn't like the smell earlier. This smell made me sink into a deep sleep. When I wake up, I know I would be drooling, like every morning for the past month.
***
It was always the same dream. At least I think it was a dream. Some guy would come in through my window. He looked so familiar, but I couldn't pin point to who he was.
"Hey Sloane." Even the voice sounded familiar.
I sat up in the bean bag and scooted over to give him room to sit. "Hey. How's it going?"
There was one thing about it. I wasn't afraid of him. "I'm okay to a point I guess."
I looked at him. He looked sad. Like everything was weighing him down. The look was the way I felt.
"You are lying. You have that expression." I took his hand in mine.
He looked over at me. "What expression?"
"The I am sad and want to be free expression." I leaned my head on his shoulder.
He chuckled. "You can get that by just looking at me. Most people think I am just grumpy or mad at everything."
"I'm not most people. I know you. I get how you feel because I feel the same way." His thumb ran across my hand.
"I know." He cleared his throat. "Why did you jump off the cliff today?"
I shrugged. "I just wanted to be a bird I guess."
He tugged his hand away. "Sloane, I am serious."
I looked at his green eyes. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to worry you. I just needed to get away from them. There is always something. I am either stuck at school learning or at the Zeke's learning. Having to deal with who I am supposed to fall in love with. Plus, just myself. I feel like I could explode at any moment."
He put an arm around me. "It's going to be okay. I promise. It will take time. But I know out of anyone you can take it."
I chuckled. "That is what my sister said. I know I can take it. I just wish I had a break every now and again."
"I know, it will get easier. Have you figured out to transform yet?" He pulled me closer to him.
I took in his musky, firewood, leather, and cleanliness smell. "No. I know I am supposed to focus on it. Focus on feeling the transformation. But when everyone is around, it is hard. They all stare at me. Which puts me off. Being a witch is one thing. Why did I have to get the wolf gene too?"
He smiled a dimpled smile. "Some people are just lucky I guess."
"Then I am like seven four leaf clovers then." I giggled.
That made him laugh in his throat. "I see what you done there."
I wrapped my arm around his waist. "I wish we could just stay in this bubble. Just us. It feels right."
He kissed my forehead. "I know. I wish we could too. But we can't."
A tear fell from my eye. "Why can't it just be you?"
"What do you mean?" I felt him tense.
I looked up at him. I looked into those green eyes and ran my hand through his dark brown hair. "Why can't it be you that I fall in love with? It would be so much simpler."
He moved out from underneath me to stand up. "It all depends on which path of love you take Sloane. I must go. It's almost time for your sister to come in and wake you up for school."
"Wait." He turned back around to me.
I grabbed his hand. "What do you mean which path of love I take? What kind of love advice is that?"
He sighed. He took my head between his hands. "Sloane, it is up to you. You get the free will to choose who you fall for. You have three choices. Go with your gut then follow your heart. That's all I can tell you."
He kissed the top of my head and too soon he was gone. Just like it had started, it all went away. There was nothing but darkness.
"Sloane, wake up. You really have to stop sleeping in so late." Franks was shaking me.
My eyes popped open. "What?"
"Get up. We have to go to school." Franks rolled her eyes and left.
I rubbed my eyes. I was in the same spot I was in when I fell asleep. The window was open, and I could still smell the faint scent of musk, firewood, leather, and cleanliness. I smiled, for reasons I wasn't for sure of. I just knew it made me feel happy.
I got up throwing on whatever I had lying around and went downstairs. I could hear dad laughing in the kitchen. I opened the door finding Franks, Bodhi, and Grace.
"Morning all." I yawned.
Grace turned around with a huge smile on her face. "Good morning Sloane. Did you sleep well?"
"Yeah, I slept great honestly." I sat down at the table.
Bodhi waved at me. "What are you guys doing here?"
"Mom wanted to come and see your dad at the crack ass of dawn." I heard the annoyance in Bodhi's voice.
I snickered. "I take it you did not want to get up at the crack ass of dawn."
"Girl genius, aren't you?" We both laughed.
"Well since you are here, you want to ride with Frankie and I to school?" I took a sip of the coffee Franks put on the table for me.
Bodhi smiled. "Yes, that would be great. Can we leave now? Unless you two want to stay for the flirting."
We all three looked over to our parents. It isn't that we didn't like it. We couldn't be happier for them. We were just teenagers and didn't like seeing it. It was gross seeing parents being affectionate. I think that is how it is for almost every teen.
"Yeah, Franks, how about you? Stay or go?" I looked over to Frankie who was texting.
"Yes, I told Zeke we were headed out of the door now." She got up walking out of the kitchen.
Bodhi looked from Frankie to me. "What is up with her?"
"I don't know. Ever since she got with Zeke, it's like no one else exist." I got up grabbing my bag.
"I don't think it is just that." Bodhi followed me outside.
I stopped on the porch looking at her. "What do you think it is? I know a lot has happened. I am sure it could be that."
Bodhi shrugged looking from me to Frankie. Who was now in the truck. "I think you hit the nail on the head. Frankie is just trying to go through all the waves just like you. Have you tried talking to her about it? Maybe she feels like you are leaving her alone to deal."
I sighed running a hand over my face. "Shit. You may be right. She has been watching out for me and taking care of me when it should be the other way around."
I walked off to get in the truck. Bodhi sat by the window while Frankie sat quietly in the middle. The whole ride to school was silent. In a way I enjoyed it. But now since I needed to talk to Franks, I needed someone to say something.
I pulled up in the parking lot. Bodhi got out running up to Jett. When Frankie tried getting out I locked the door. She looked over at me.
"What are you doing Sloane?" Her face was pale, and a frown was placed on her lips.
"We need to talk." I gave the most serious tone I could.
Frankie sat back folding her arms. "What?"
"I am sorry Franks. You have been going through all this too and here you are taking care of me. It shouldn't be like that. I should be helping you and taking care of you." I was looking across the parking lot while I talked to her.
She didn't say anything, so I looked over at her. "Frankie, I hope you can forgive me."
Franks chuckled. "Sloane, we have to get through this and take care of each other. Equals, remember? I don't want the sister thing just one sided. We have never been one sided until now. I just need it to go back to being equals."
I threw my arms around her and kissing her head. "Oh, Franks, you are so right. I love you."
She giggled swatting me off her. "Okay, not so much lovey dovey in front of everyone."
I laughed letting her go. "I do love you Franks. I'm here, always. You and I have to get through all this together."
She smiled. "Yes, we do. No matter what, I've got your back Sloane."
"I've got yours too. Now, let's get inside before Zeke has a fit not getting to walk you to class." She rolled her eyes at me and got out.
I followed behind her. "I love you Franks."
She had an arm through Zeke's and turned her head back to me. "I love you too Sloane."
I was making my way up the steps when Mr. Kal was beside me. "Morning Sloane."
I came to a standstill. "Look, you are a teacher. I am a student. You have got to stop whatever it is you are doing."
Mr. Kal was a few steps up when he stopped and came back down to the step just above me. "I am sorry Sloane. I know it isn't the right behavior for a teacher. I just like you."
"You can't like me. I am your student." I snapped.
"Is everything okay here?" Phoenix was coming up the steps with Gwendolyn.
Mr. Kal smiled looking to Phoenix. "Yes, little brother. Everything is fine."
I gasped. "What? You two are brothers?"
Phoenix head hung while Mr. Kal talked. "Yeah, I'm the older brother. I am surprised you haven't gotten that far in your studies at Zeke's. Too bad Phoenix didn't just tell you."
Phoenix's head shot up. He was angry. "You know I can't tell her anything to comprise what she does or how she does it."
Mr. Kal laughed. "Always following the rules. Be a rule breaker occasionally, Phoenix."
Phoenix looked like he was about to explode. Gwendolyn had a smirk on her face. I grabbed Phoenix's hand and drug him behind me into the school. I drug him in until we were at my locker.
I spun around to face him. "Are you okay?"
All the anger I saw before had left. "I am all right. I am sorry I didn't say anything."
"It wasn't your place. I had to learn it, like everything else." I opened my locker pulling out my copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray.
Phoenix chuckled. "You hate learning?"
"No, I just hate that there is so much, and I feel like I have so little time." I sighed.
Phoenix walked around to his locker that was five down from me. "It will be okay. You can take whatever is thrown at you."
For some reason those words haunted me. I had heard something like that before. I know Frankie said it last night. But I had heard them again after that. How could I though? I was in a deep sleep last night and dreamt of nothing.
Before I could talk to Phoenix anymore. He was already walking off to his class. I watched him go. He was tall. Punk prep, with dark brown hair, green eyes, and bubble gum lips. He wasn't someone I usually went for. I usually went for someone like Bowie. Whom was a punk and cold most of the time. Or I went after someone like Mr. Kal. Who was dark, older, and went after what he wanted.
I banged my head once against my locker. This love thing just kept getting worse. "Ms. Ashby, you need to get to class."
Ms. Stone was walking by. "Yes, ma'am."
I took in a deep breath and let it out. I walked into class and took my seat. Mr. Kal was sitting at his desk. He was reading. Not once did he look up.
I leaned over to Jett and Bodhi. "Is he not teaching today?"
Jett shook her head. Bodhi leaned in closer. "He said for us to just read the chapter and we would discuss it tomorrow."
I nodded. I know I read the book about ten times already, but I started reading it anyways, putting my earphones in. I was almost through a chapter when I heard something. It sounded like a voice.
I took out my earphones and looked around. Everyone including Mr. Kal was engaged in the book. I shrugged it off and put my earphones back in to read again. I heard it again.
I pulled them out and looked around. No one was talking. That when I heard it louder. "Come out side."
I was confused. But somehow, I trusted it. I got up silently and snuck out of the classroom. I made sure not to get caught while I went outside to the steps. I looked around and my eyes fell on him.
It was Phoenix. "Was that you?"
He smirked. "Yeah, cool trick, isn't it?"
"Yeah or just a bit weird. I thought I was going crazy." I chuckled to myself.
Phoenix frowned. "I won't do it again."
"No, I like it." I smiled at him.
He beamed. "You want to get out of this place? I am done with it. I just need a day off."
"It's Tuesday. We had the weekend before yesterday." I walked over to him.
He shrugged. "Just entertain me. I wanted company, you should be honored."
"Why is that?" I crossed my arms.
"Because I usually just want to be alone. All the time. But I like being around you." He looked at his feet.
I nudged him. "Well come on bad influence. Let's go somewhere."
"Are we taking my truck?" I looked over at Phoenix.
He shook his head. "No. We will take my car."
"You sure? My truck is durable." I side eyed him.
"My car may be fancy, but it is an older model. Trust me, it will be okay for were we are going." I shrugged and got in when he opened the door.