Ch. 20: Food & Tattoos

We sat down at a booth in the back. I was glad to get out of the cold and get some food. "What will it be kids?"
The waitress was waiting with her pad and pen. I looked over the menu. I wasn't for sure because I had never been there.
Phoenix knew what he wanted. So, he ordered first. "I will take a burger with everything, fries, cheese sticks, and root beer."
"Um, that sounds good." I was still looking at the menu.
Phoenix pulled the menu down, so I would focus on him. "Get whatever you want. I will pay for it."
"You sure? Because I can pay for my own." I eyed him.
"Yeah, I am sure." He smiled.
I put the menu down. "In that case, I will take a cheese burger with everything, fries, cheese sticks, fried pickles, and a root beer."
Phoenix smiled. "Get two orders of those fried pickles please."
The waitress smiled. "Your order will be out soon."
"So, how did running free feel?" Phoenix played with the little jukebox on the table.
I beamed. I still felt the tingling. "It was brilliant. I have always wanted that. Thank you, so much, Phoenix. Without you, I don't know what I would do. I know we have only hung out few times. One time me not actually knowing because I was drunk."
He held up a finger. "Your dreams."
"Oh, yes, and my dreams. Either way, I feel like we have known each other forever. I'm comfortable with you. I just hope you feel the same way." I looked down at my hands.
Phoenix grabbed my hands. "I feel the same way. I have felt the energy since I laid eyes on you the first time. I was just giving you time and space."
"Thank you. I know I have said that a lot. But it means a lot. You weren't breathing down my neck or giving me hot and cold signals." I rubbed my thumb over his knuckles.
Before Phoenix could get a word out, we got interrupted. "There you are."
It was the twins. I let go of Phoenix's hands. "Hey guys. What's up?"
I was annoyed by their presence. "You didn't show up in your classes. We felt it, you transformed."
Zig scooted in with Phoenix and Ziv scooted in next to me. "How did you know I transformed?"
"Our tattoos started burning. When one of us changes for the first time they burn. Did you not feel your tattoo?" Zig grabbed a fry off my plate when the waitress brought out our plates.
I could have beat them. But I was curious about the tattoo thing. "I felt ripples and hotness. Stinging. But I didn't think anything of it."
Ziv grabbed my hand flipping it over showing my wrist. "Look."
There it was. A tattoo of a badass tribal wolf claw on my wrist. I hadn't felt it when I transformed. I hadn't even noticed it. I was too busy with Phoenix to notice it.
"That is so cool." I rubbed a finger over it.
I looked up at the twins. "Are the tattoos all the same?"
Zig shook his head. "No, they are all tribal claws but there is one little detail different."
"What?" I was excited.
"They each bare a sense. Like ours have and ear in it. Because we can hear so good. The Barlow's have like a face with a nose for smell. They aren't big enough to make out but it's there. Check yours." Ziv nudged me.
I looked down. There was an eye, ear, and nose. I looked up to them. "I have both including an eye."
They got overly excited. I looked over at Phoenix, he gave me a smile. But he seemed a bit uncomfortable. "Guys, I know this is all exciting. But can you go."
They looked at one another then to us. "Oh, sorry, we interrupted."
"It's okay. We were just talking about things." I really didn't know how to put why we were there.
Zig stood up straight. "Do we need to beat someone up?"
"God, Zig, no. I just want to be alone with Phoenix." I face palmed.
They both laughed. "We got you. On a date. We will leave you two to it. Just be at Zeke's later."
I shook my head and blushed red. "Those two are always up my ass."
"They are your betas. They kind of have to be." Phoenix stated matter of factly.
"I guess so, gets annoying sometimes. Like now. I just wanted to hang with you and eat. Then they showed up." I put my hand on my hand.
"Hey, don't be so down. You are part of a pack. There are certain duties you all must abide by." Phoenix grabbed my free hand.
I sighed. "You are right. Since, our fleet is so small. Most of us are two or more rankings."
"That is actually pretty cool." Phoenix started eating.
"It is. I love it. It is just a lot to take on. I don't get why I have to be the alpha." I took a sip of my root beer.
Phoenix chuckled. "You seriously don't get why? You are smart, you are a good leader, you are older, and they look up to you. Especially the twins."
I smiled at him. "Why does your family hate mine? Yet, here you are helping me and being such a good guy."
"My family doesn't hate your family. They just hate what our ancestors done to put us all in this situation. My sister hates you but that is just Gwendolyn. She will come around. I'm tired of all the drama to be honest." He leaned back in his seat taking a bite of fry.
"So, I only have to worry about your sister, that makes it better." I looked out the window.
Everyone was standing around their cars. The whole gang was there. What were they doing there? I thought the twins were just there.
"What's wrong?" I nodded towards outside.
Phoenix followed my stare. "Oh, should we invite them in?"
My head snapped back to look at him. "No."
He held his hands up. "Okay. We don't have to."
"I'm sorry. I just like spending time with you. I don't want them in here. They don't like your family." My head hung in guilt.
Phoenix grabbed my hand. "It is okay. I understand. There has been a lot of bad blood for a long time."
"I don't get it. If the fleet is supposed to protect the witches. Then why don't they protect your family too?" I put my hands in my lap.
His shoulders dropped. "They do. Just not as much as your side of town. We are the bad coven remember. At least that's how it has been. But my mother and father, they don't want revenge or hate anymore. For some reason it skipped them. They just want everything to work out. It's Gwendolyn we have to watch out for."
"What about Mr. Kal?" I looked up from my hands.
"My brother is just self-centered sometimes, but he means well. I know he was trying to romance you." Phoenix kind of snickered to himself.
I straightened up. "Are you okay with him flirting?"
Phoenix grinned. "I honestly hated it. But I don't think he will be doing it anymore. We had that moment back in the woods remember. Nothing can break a bond like that. He will understand, he just wanted to try and see if he could help break the curse."
"I get it. I think that is what we all have been trying to do. Break the curse. It has been hell trying to figure out who it was and when it was going to happen. I wanted to make things right. I am sorry my family put your family through all that." His green eyes were on me.
His eyes made me weak. "It's all in the past now. My brother and parents will be happy to know it happened. My sister, not so much. She still thinks of the bad blood."
"I don't know how the fleet and guardians will take it. I am sure that is why they are out there. Trying to make sure things are okay." I looked out the window at them.
"Make sure what is okay?" Phoenix went to a whisper.
I could hear everything they were saying outside. It was annoying and frustrating. "One, they don't want me to get hurt, in any kind of way. Second, they don't want your family to end up killing one of my people as backlash from years of bad blood."
He pointed from me to them. "Can you hear what they are saying?"
"Yes, I don't really like it." I looked to Phoenix. He was smiling.
"What are you smiling for?" I pouted.
"It is just really cool. My girl is a witch and a wolf. Those things combined, it is powerful. You need to make sure you be careful as well embrace it." Phoenix couldn't take his eyes off me.
I couldn't take my eyes off him. "Your girl?"
"I should probably properly ask you out on a date before I assume." He cleared his throat from the nervous bubble forming.
I shook my head. "No, this is our date. I am perfectly fine with being your girl."
Phoenix's face lit up. "So, you'll be my girlfriend?"
I couldn't help but laugh. "Yes, I will be your girlfriend."
I looked from a smiling from ear to ear Phoenix, to my anxious friends outside. They were all standing around talking and I guess Ziv and Zig were filling them in on everything being said.
"Would you like to go to Zeke's with us?" I looked back to Phoenix.
He scratched his head and wouldn't look at me. "You don't have to if you don't want to."
"I would like to. I just think it is too early for that. I need to go and see my parents and siblings. They need to know." He got up holding his hand out to me.
I took it. "Okay. I need a ride back to school to get my truck."
We walked outside. All my friends looked over to us. "Don't worry about them, Sloane. It will all work out."
I hoped he was right. I didn't want my friends not to like Phoenix. They had hated each other at one point and time. Now, they had no idea how to feel. I knew how to feel. Months on out, I felt like I had to choose someone. But what I didn't think about is letting that person choose me and it takes time for it to happen. I was rushing something I wanted to fix. Putting too much pressure on myself.