Ch. 7: Old Friends

When I got up the next morning, Slade was sleeping down on the floor bundled up in covers. After smiling like a fool at him, I got up and took a shower.
I quietly walked over and sat down beside Slade. I poked his cheek. "Good morning grump."
A groggy growl came up from him. He put his head further into the pillow. "Come on, get up."
He rubbed his face into the pillow and looked up at me. "What is your problem? It is seven fifteen in the morning. Who gets up at this time?"
"Actually, I was up at six. I have school. I figured you could drive me to school." I smiled down at him.
"Since when am I supposed to drive you to school?" He rubbed his eyes.
I rubbed my hand through his hair. "Since you are my boyfriend and the fact that you have a motorcycle. It would be cool riding up on the motorcycle with my boyfriend."
He sat up beside me. "Well, if you put it that way."
I smiled kissing him quick. "Good. Now, up. We need to leave so I can get there before eight."
I got up and went downstairs. "Good morning fellow humans."
Dad and Grace looked up. Frankie and Bodhi were in a deep conversation. "Good morning Sloane. Did Slade sleep on the floor?"
I looked at my dad. "Yes, father. He was a perfect gentleman. Just because he dresses like a punk doesn't mean he is one."
"He drives a motorcycle." Dad put eggs on my plate.
"So, do you." I dug into my eggs.
Dad put some tenderloin on my plate. "I am older than he is. Meaning I know how not to act a fool on one."
"Dad, he doesn't act a fool. He is really grown up. I think you two would get along. Slade is trying, but you my friend are being a butt." I shoved another bite in my mouth.
He stopped what he was doing. "A butt? I'm being a butt? You know, I give you a place to live, food, clothes, and I was half of the reason you were born. So, do you want to rephrase that?"
I got up grabbing my jacket. "No, you are being a butt. Just try. Please."
Dad sighed laying down his spatula. "Fine, I will try."
I smiled. "Your bacon is burning."
I ran out the door and waited for Slade. He came out throwing on his leather jacket. "You are going to make me late."
He looked over to me leaning on the wall beside the door. "You aren't going to run late. It is only seven thirty-five. You must be there at eight and the school is only five minutes away. Seven if there is a lot of traffic."
I grabbed his hand and lead him down to the motorcycle. "Let's go."
***
When we pulled up, Wren pulled up right beside us. I got off. "Good morning Sloane."
"Morning Wren." I nodded.
"So, this your boyfriend?" She pointed to Slade.
Slade got off and shook her hand. "Yes, I am the boyfriend. Nice to meet you Wren."
"Nice to meet you too Slade. You must not be from here. Most of the people here aren't as nice." Wren grinned.
"People meaning me?" I scolded.
Wren snickered. "Not just you. Jett doesn't like me but that is because I like her girlfriend. Others don't like me because well they think I am bad news."
I folded my arms. "Well, I know you know Phoenix. So, if he trusts you and you two are friends. Then I guess you are okay."
"How is my old friend? I haven't seen him in years." She put her helmet on her motorcycle.
"He is good. He will be here in a bit." I turned around to Slade. Who patiently waited for me.
"So, later, you will be picking me up after school?" I hugged him close.
He put his hands on either side of my face. "You bet."
After we kissed, he got on his motorcycle and left. I turned back around to Wren. "Hey."
"So, your dad doesn't care that you are riding on the back of a motorcycle with a hottie?" She raised her eyebrows.
I laughed. "Yeah, he has a bit of a problem. But I think he will warm up to it."
Wren chuckled. "I'm sure he will. So, what classes does Phoenix have?"
"He has the first and second with us then after that nothing with me. I am not sure about you." We walked up into school.
Wren held the door open for me. "I will figure it out. I have missed him. We were best friends for years. But we lost touch in the past three or four. I guess it was because of my teenage angst."
"Funny you should mention all this. Phoenix and I talked about it last night. He can't wait to see you." We stood in front of the door to our first class.
"I can't wait to see him. I will talk to you later. I am going to go sit down now." She grinned and went to sit down.
I took my seat in the back by the door like always. I sat there and waited for everyone else to come in. They were all on time expect the twins. For some reason they couldn't grasp the concept of time. It is a wonder they are even passing.
Bodhi sat down beside me looking angry. I leaned over. "What is wrong?"
"Jett, she is being ridiculous." Bodhi had a pout on her face.
I bit my lip knowing exactly why. "What's up?"
"She thinks Wren likes me. Wren hasn't even been here long, and we have only seen her once, twice counting today." Bodhi looked like she was about to cry.
I grabbed her hand. "Bodhi, it will be okay. But for your information, Wren is into you. Even if you have seen her just twice."
"What? There is no way." Bodhi was in shock.
I shrugged. "She can't keep her eyes off you. I get why Jett is jealous. Just talk to Jett. I will help with it, if you want."
"That would be great." Mr. Kal walked in giving everyone the teacher stare.
He started in on his lecture and we all payed attention. Mr. Kal looked like he hadn't had sleep in a week. He looked sick. But I don't think that was it. Something else was going on.
***
When class was over, I walked up to a Mr. Kal that had his head in his hands. "Mr. Kal."
He jumped. "Oh, Sloane. How are you?"
"I'm good. Yourself? Have you slept?" I laid my books on his desk.
"Gwendolyn is going to kill me. I have been blocking her magic and keeping her vengeful self at bay." He rubbed his finger against his temples.
"Why are you having to block her magic?" I sat in the desk in front of his.
He sighed. "You know how she is. You hurt her brother. At least that is how she feels. So, she wants you to pay."
"Oh, well that is great. Exactly what I wanted. I am sure Bowie is in it with her." I tapped my fingers on the desk.
"Yeah, they are both in on it. More her than him. Why can't you just be a nun or something that doesn't involve a relationship." Mr. Kal looked very worn out.
I got up and gathered up my books. "Don't worry about Gwendolyn. I will be okay. Just get some sleep."
I walked out to my next class. Of course, Gwendolyn was trying to get me back for breaking things off with Phoenix. I didn't want to hurt him. Even though he said he would get over it, I knew he had to be hurt just a bit. But I didn't want people to protect me. I could do that. People helping me is fine. But protecting me all the time was starting to get on my nerves.
***
The rest of the school day was me worrying about everyone around me. Jett and Bodhi, Phoenix, Mr. Kal, Gwendolyn, and Bowie. Things felt like they were going to change. Something was going to happen. It being with Slade and me or our friends. There was defiantly going to be something going on.
I waited outside for Slade. He said he would be there early and waiting on me. But nothing. I was starting to get worried.
I checked the time on my phone. It was an hour after three. Someone poked my shoulder. I jumped and looked back to see who it was.
"Wren, what are you still doing here?" I gathered my books off the step, holding them close to me.
"I had to stay over and talk to Mr. Alderman. He had to look at my transcripts and go over a few rules. He would have done it this morning, but he ran late." Wren shrugged.
I sat on the steps. "Does this mean you are in the group?"
Wren sat beside me. "You mean your group, the fleet, guardians, and covens?"
"Yes, all that." I looked down at my feet.
"I guess so. Are you part witch and wolf too?" I looked at her.
She shook her head. "No, just a witch. You along Slade are the only ones I have meet that are both. Well and your sister and dad."
"You going to stop by Jason's later?" I was running out of things to ask or say to Wren. She probably thought I was an idiot.
She nodded. "Yes, I am. They are going to fill me in on everything. Shouldn't Slade be here?"
I bit my bottom lip. "Yeah, I am worried. He should have been here before I ever got out of school."
She patted my leg. "Well, come on. I will give you a ride and we can see if he is okay."
I nodded and got on the back her motorcycle. We rode until we came upon a wreck. Wren skretched her motorcycle to a stop. I jumped off the back of the motorcycle and ran over to see what was going on.
One of the police officers stopped me. "Miss, you can't go pass the tape."
"What happened?" I tired looking over his shoulder.
"Some guy had an accident on his motorcycle." I stared at him in shock.
My heart was pounding so hard and fast, I could feel it in my ears. "What does he look like? What is his name? Is he okay?"
Wren put her hand on my arm. "Take some deep breaths. I'm sure it'll be okay. We don't even know if it is Slade."
The police officer sighed. "Ma'am the man is pretty banged up but if you must see who it is, I will let you. Just don't let anyone know I let you."
I shook my head and followed him under the tape. I grabbed Wren's arm and pulled her with me. I needed someone there with me. Especially if it was Slade.
The police officer stopped and turned around. "Now, again, he is banged up, but he is still alive. He may have to stay in the hospital for a couple of days."
"Just let me see. Please." I wanted to know. I had to know if it was him.
The police officer stepped aside. There he was, laying on the stretcher. His bike smashed. I covered my mouth with my hand.
"Ma'am, is it him?" The police officer placed a hand on my shoulder.
I gulped back the tears. "Y...y...yes."
I got up in the ambulance with him. I ran my hand over his forehead. "Oh, Slade."
He swallowed hard. "Sloane."
"Yeah, I am here." He squeezed my hand.
He coughed. "It came out of nowhere."
"What came out of nowhere?" I tried keeping him awake.
"Th...th...the branch. It fell right in front of me." He was shaking his head trying to keep himself awake.
The EMT was in the ambulance. "It's okay. He needs to rest. Are you wanting to ride with him?"
I looked at Wren standing at the end of the ambulance. "Go ahead. I will call everyone and tell them what's going on."