Ch. 21: Family Time

There was no way Phoenix was ready for this. He knew his parents would be happy. Kal would even be behind him. Gwendolyn on the other hand was going to lose her mind. She was all about bad blood and stirring it until it all came to the surface again. That is what she would hope would happen when Sloane and her family came back.
Phoenix sat in the car. He wasn't ready to go in. He jumped from a knock on the window. He looked over seeing Gwendolyn in the window.
He took a deep breath and rolled down the window. "What do you want Gwendolyn?"
"Are you coming in or are you going to just sit here in the driveway like some weirdo?" Gwendolyn was bubbly.
Phoenix looked from her to the house. "I will be in there in a minute."
Gwendolyn took a lick of her sucker. "You better hurry. Mom and dad will wonder what's taking so long."
She skipped off into the huge house. Gwendolyn sucked all the energy out of the air. She was evil. As much as Phoenix's parents didn't want to admit it, she was.
Gwendolyn was gorgeous, meaning she got away with anything she wanted. With her long straight beautiful red hair, green eyes, and proper preppy punk dresses. She knew how to get her way. She was his twin only darker. How could someone he shared a womb with be so different?
He got out and went in. He could smell his dad's cigar smoke and the firewood burning in the chimney. He walked over into the den. His mom sat there reading while his dad smoked on his cigar and drinking his scotch.
For parents they were easy going even if they wanted to make sure to hold up the family name. They threw balls and galas for the public. They hosted events to raise money from the needy to the cancer patients who needed help. If most people didn't know any better, they would think they were just rich people with snobby kids.
The whole town knew though. They knew what was in Appleberry. They were okay with it if it didn't upset the peace they had in the town.
He knew he was the child that they watched out for because of the rebel side. He only done it, so they wouldn't see what Gwendolyn done. She liked playing in black magic. Which led to bad things. She didn't care. Phoenix cared, he cared a lot more than he let anyone believe.
"Hey mom, dad." He leaned against the door frame.
His mother looked up and smiled while his dad spoke. "Phoenix, how was your day?"
"It was okay. More than okay. I need to tell you both something." Phoenix went over to sit on the couch.
His dad sat his scotch down getting up to look out the window, his hands in his pocket. "What has happened now, Phoenix?"
"Oh, Welch. Let the boy speak." Phoenix's mom put the book down.
Before Phoenix could get a word out, Gwendolyn skipped in. "Hello beautiful family."
She went over to their dad. "Hello, daddy. How was your day?"
Welch hugged his daughter. "It has been fine."
Gwendolyn skipped over to her mom, placing a kiss on her head. "You mother?"
"It's been just fine, Gwendolyn." Karen smiled.
Gwendolyn sat by Phoenix. "Hello, brother."
"Gwendolyn." Phoenix was annoyed. He wanted her to go away so he could talk to his parents alone.
Welch turned around. "Well, what was it Phoenix?"
Phoenix rubbed his face. "Nothing. I will talk to you later."
Phoenix got up and walked up to his room. He opened his window and laid in the floor. He just wanted to be with Sloane. When he was with her things felt more than good. They were amazing.
"Knock knock." Kal was leaning up against the door frame.
Phoenix turned his head to look at him. "What Kal?"
"Are you okay?" Kal came over to sit on the bed.
Phoenix sat up against the wall. "Gwendolyn is always around. I'm getting tired of her."
"What happened?" Kal put his elbows on his knees.
"Every time I tried to talk to mom and dad. She shows up. I had something I needed to tell them when I got in. Bam, there she was. Being her bubbly innocent self." Phoenix threw the shoe that was lying beside him.
"What went on today? What were you going to tell the parents?" Kal was interested in what Phoenix had to say.
Phoenix smiled to himself. "Sloane. We are together."
"What? Are you serious? Brother, that is amazing." Kal stood up bringing Phoenix up into a hug.
Phoenix hugged him back. "You aren't mad?"
"No. I am sorry for doing what I did. I was just trying like you and Bowie. I only knew how to romance. Which she wasn't having." Kal laughed.
Phoenix let go. "Yeah, she does what she wants. That's what I like. She doesn't let anyone tell her what to do."
"Mom and dad are going to be so happy and proud. How did you do it?" Kal went over to the window to look out.
Phoenix scratched his head. "I projected into her dreams. I know I shouldn't have. But I wanted to know her. I made her forget. She remembered it though. All through her wolfy senses."
Kal turned to him. "Come again. So, she is part wolf? You know that makes her powerful. Probably more so than anyone in the coven."
"You knew that she was." Phoenix shrugged.
"I heard the rumors. But I didn't know she was actually part of the fleet." Kal chuckled.
Phoenix sat on the bed. "Yeah, well, she is. I need to talk to dad and mom about all of it. But I know if I try, Gwendolyn will end up showing up out of the blue."
"Shit, I will deal with Gwendolyn. I will take her shopping right now. Halloween is coming up, she will want to go find something. Go talk to dad." Kal patted his brother's shoulder and left the room.
Phoenix waited until Kal drove down the driveway. He ran downstairs. "Mom, dad."
"In the study." His dad called out.
He entered the study and closed the door. "About what I said earlier. I need to tell you something."
Karen smiled. "What is it honey?"
Phoenix sat down in a chair in front of his dad's desk. "Sloane Ashby and I are together."
Both of his parents stopped what they were doing and looked up at him. His mom came around and hugged him. "Dear, that is wonderful."
He looked to his dad while he hugged his mom. "It just happened. I know you wanted this to happen. It either be me or Kal. Turned out she liked me. We found that bond when I helped her transform."
His dad sat straight up. "So, the rumors are true. She is a wolf."
"Yes, I hope that is not a problem." He looked to both of his parents.
His mom put her hand on his dad's shoulder. "Honey, no. It just means the next generation of Appleberry's and Ashby's are going to be stronger."
His dad sat back in his chair. "Why didn't you wait until Gwendolyn was here to tell us?"
"Because you know how she is. She doesn't care about the happiness of this family. She only cares about the past." Phoenix got up and walked around the study.
"You aren't giving your sister enough credit." His dad cut a cigar, lighting it putting it in his mouth.
Phoenix opened the door to the study. "You keep staying in denial dad."
Phoenix grabbed his keys and left. He couldn't stay there. He knew his parents were happy for him. But he also knew they couldn't see past Gwendolyn's bubbly innocents and look at her for what she really was. An evil witch.