Ch. 11: Canada

It took us six more hours instead of just three more. Someone ate too much pie and had to stop every other hour. So, we had to stop with them too.
Here we were, finally in Canada. This year had put a lot of adventure in my life. Oregon, Montana, and now Canada. What would be next?
We had planned to stop at a motel and stay for however long this visit took. But an hour before we even got into Canada, Zeke called and said that his grandfather had an estate that we could stay in. I would have been shocked, but Jason was loaded.
"Damn, Jason is like that Warbucks guy off that movie." Zig sat his bag down on the ground.
Ziv came and stood beside him. "It was Annie."
Zig looked over. "What was Annie?"
"Annie, the movie. She is an orphan and gets adopted by Daddy Warbucks." Ziv and Zig looked at one another.
They took off and went in leaving us girls behind with all the bags. "Are they really just going to make us carry all the bags?"
I looked over at Bodhi. "It's Zig and Ziv. What do you think?"
Wren picked up a few bags. "Don't worry, I will get them to help. They fear me. They will do anything I say."
I laughed. "I am sure as soon as she gets in there they will come running out. I bet you five dollars."
"I'll take that bet." Jett fist bumped me.
We stood there and waited until Wren got into the house. We started to count to five. As soon as we hit three, the twins were running out faster than sonic the hedgehog.
"Hello, girls. Let us get your bags. It would be our pleasure." Ziv and Zig said picking up a bunch of bags.
Dad got out of the car, finally, to come and help. Then stopped. "Well, I was going to help. Seems like the young men have it."
We all walked towards the mansion. "Wren put the fear in them. They ran out here and grabbed the bags."
Dad chuckled. "What wimps."
"When are we meeting with the elders?" Bodhi and Jett were in awe of the mansion.
I too looked around in awe. It was beautiful. "Later tonight. But after that meeting, we may have to do another one. Then after that maybe another. I don't know how long we will be in Canada."
Wren came down the grand stair case. "We will stay as long as it takes. There are also like eighty rooms up there. Your bags are at the rooms you will be staying at."
"Good afternoon." We all gasped and turned to find a man in a penguin suit.
Dad went into protective mode. "Who are you?"
The man smiled. "Forgive me sir. I am Gerard, the Alderman's butler for this estate. I was called and said you would be arriving around this time. Sorry I am late."
I patted dad's arm for him to back down. "It is okay. We already found our rooms. But we are hungry. Is there any food in this place?"
He bowed like a butler from the nineteenth century would bow. "If you would follow me. I will take you to the kitchen."
We all followed Gerard into the kitchen. It was bigger than an apartment in Appleberry. It could have held two of the apartments in Appleberry.
Gerard turned around to us, making us all stop bumping into each other. "There is a cook. If you need anything prepared, then just ring the bell. The bell is placed on the island. The cook is usually in the back because there is usually no one here unless someone rents the place out. If you need me, just call out my name and I will be there as soon as possible. The maids will be around to clean whatever needs to be cleaned. If there is anything else, just ask."
"Thank you, Gerard. I think we will do just fine." I gave him a smile.
"Yes, well, I will leave you to eat." He bowed once again and turned around and left.
Ziv and Zig were already sitting at the table. Even dad made himself at home. "Well, what would everyone like to eat?"
"Let's get some burgers and pizza." Zig drummed on the table.
I went over and rang the bell. A guy came out of a door in the back of the kitchen. "I heard the bell. What can I get you?"
"Would you please prepare burgers and a pizza?" I stood at the huge island.
"Yes, I can even add fries and mozzarella sticks. While I cook, just check the refrigerator for drinks." He smiled and started gathering up his supplies.
I turned to Wren. "Help me with the drinks?"
She nodded. "So, how are you handling Bodhi and Jett?"
Wren gave me a stare of anger. "I for some reason haven't been able to stop thinking about Bodhi. I get they are together and love each other. But it's like I fell in love at first sight. She is beautiful and smart. She even has spunk."
"Yeah, Bodhi is amazing. She is sweet." I smiled at Wren.
Wren frowned. "That doesn't help."
"I'm sorry. I know it must suck to see it. But I honestly don't know if they will ever break up." I looked over to Wren who had all kinds of drinks in her arms.
"It is fine. Let's get these drinks over to everyone." She walked off.
I sighed. I didn't like when my friends weren't happy. It sucked. The fact that we are all connected in some way means that we feel the emotions on high alert. It sucked sometimes but then again, if anyone needed something, we were there.
***
It was a wonder we could put the food away. We had eaten a lot coming to Canada. But we did, all of it. I was going to pay for it later.
Dad put down is napkin. "That was good food. Thank you chief."
The chief smiled and went back through his door. Dad looked at his watch. "We only have three hours until we meet with the elders. I suggest everyone go to their rooms and take a nap or something."
Dad excused himself and went upstairs. "Is everyone sleepy? Or wide awake?"
Ziv and Zig looked at one another and then to me. "If it is okay with you, we are going for a swim."
"Guys, it is winter, and you want to go swimming." My eyebrows came together.
They rolled their eyes. "They have an indoor swimming pool."
"Okay, then be my guest. Go swim until your hearts are content." I waved for them to get up and go.
I looked at Wren. She got up without a word and went upstairs. "I guess that leaves us four. What do you want to do?"
Bodhi gave a grimace smile. "Jett and I are beat. We are going to go nap."
I nodded, and they left. "Well, what about you boyfriend of mine?"
He looked at me. I could tell he was tired. He done most of the driving. I told him not to, that I could help drive or one of the twins. But he insisted.
"Sleep?" I asked.
He nodded. "Let's go get our nap on."