Ch. 10: On The Road

"Wake up beautiful." I felt a kiss on my cheek.
I groaned. I was so tired. I felt another kiss on my forehead. "Wake up woman."
"No." I turned over.
"If you don't, then no elders." I sighed.
I slung back the covers hitting Slade. "Fine, let me get washed up and dressed and we will go."
***
I made my way downstairs to the dining room. I could smell the breakfast food. It smelt amazing. "Good morning all."
"Good morning Sloane." Dad poured some orange juice.
I sat down. "Everyone ready to go?"
"After we eat, yes." Ziv answered.
"Of course, I don't want you to starve." I rolled my eyes.
Slade came into the room, placing a kiss on my head. "Hey grumpy."
I looked over at him. "I am not grumpy."
Everyone chuckled. I looked at them. "What?"
Frankie talked for them. "You have always been a grump in the mornings. Ever since we were kids."
"You all lie." I took a drank of orange juice and started eating.
There wasn't much conversation during breakfast. Everyone was downing their food. They ate like they hadn't eaten for a long time. Maybe it was just because some of them were part wolf and boys. I believe it was both.
After breakfast we got everything packed into the two Tahoe's that Jason rented to go on the trip. The town of Appleberry maybe small but the people had money.
"Who is riding with my dad?" I asked everyone.
They were all standing around. Dad was already on the list. "Bodhi, Jett, and Wren will go with me. The twins, you and Slade will go in the other Tahoe."
We all froze, looking to the girls riding with dad. Dad saw our faces. "What?"
We shook our heads. Everyone piled into the cars. I walked over to dad. "Don't let Wren around Jett. If you do, you may have someone killed. They both like Bodhi. If they want to talk then let them. Other than that, music all the way or whatever they want."
Dad made an oh face. "Okay, this should be interesting."
Dad got in his goodbyes to everyone earlier. I made my way over to Frankie and the others. "Franks."
"Sloane." She stood in front of me.
"I love you and keep an eye out for everyone." I hugged her.
She squeezed me. "I will. We will be okay. Just be safe. I love you."
I went over to Jason. "Thank you, Jason."
Jason put his hands on my shoulders. "It was the least I could do. Just come back home."
"We will. Later guys." I got into the Tahoe.
I took a deep breath in and let it out. "Are you ready?"
I looked over at Slade. "Yes. Let's go."
***
We were two hours on the road and it was completely silent. We only had three and a half hours to go. I was restless.
"So, are you guys hungry?" I looked back at the twins and then to Slade.
Zig put his head between the seats. "By hungry, do you mean starving, then yes."
"It's only been two hours since breakfast. How can you be starving?" I huffed.
Ziv put his head between the seats. "We are wolves woman. You two are part, you should be hungry by now too."
"You have a point. I will text dad and tell him we are stopping for food." I dug my phone out.
I looked up from my phone. "Okay, we are going to stop at a little dinner a few miles off the interstate. It's the only thing close."
We drove ten more minutes until we reached the exit for a diner called Mercedes. I really hope they served good food. After going on the exit, it took about thirty more minutes to get to the dinner. It was basically out in the middle of nowhere.
When the car stopped the twins were out of the car first. I got out and looked at the dinner. It looked like something out of a horror film yet warm. How was that possible, I have no idea.
"Thank gosh. I am so hungry." The twins said in unison.
"I second that." I snickered.
We entered the dinner and what few eyes there were, fell on us. "To think we would be the center of attention."
Wren walked through us and up to the bar. "Yeah, can I get a whiskey on the rocks."
While everyone took to the booths, I walked up to the bar to stand by Wren. "Are you okay?"
"Oh yes, the silent ride with the girl I have a crush on and her girlfriend, along with your dad, has been fan-freaking-tastic." She smiled and took a sip of her whiskey.
I put my hand on her arm. "I am sorry. If you want, you can ride with us. Though I don't think it would be much better. The twins have slept mostly. Slade doesn't say much. We just listen to music. I think Slade is nervous."
She shook her head no. "No, I will be fine. I will just put in my headphones and binge watch something all the way to Canada or talk to your dad about motorcycles."
"Okay, but the offer still stands if you want it. Now, come and sit with the twins, Slade, and me. We need to eat." I made my way over to the booth and sat by Slade.
Slade leaned over and whispered. "How's Wren?"
"She isn't liking the ride with her crush and the crushes girlfriend." I leaned my head on his shoulder.
"Well, I know how that one feels. I am not sure what will happen there. I mean I knew I would get you." Slade started laughing.
I pinched him. "Shut up. You got me because I wanted you. End of story."
He raised his eyebrows and grinned then kissed me. "Ugh, get a room."
We looked over to find Wren standing at the table. "This is a room."
She scooted in by the twins. "You two disgust me."
"We just really like each other." I gave her a cheesy grin.
"Whatever. What are we eating?" She picked up the menu.
I picked up a menu. "The chicken dinner looks good."
The twins snubbed their noses. "I take it you two don't want chicken."
The waitress came up to our table chewing sloppy on some bubblegum. "What will it be kids?"
"The twins will want steak, rare with a baked potato and mac and cheese. I will have the chicken dinner. What about you two?" I looked at Wren and Slade.
Wren put her menu down. "I will take what she is having."
Slade put his arm around me. "I will take the same as the girls."
The waitress popped her gum. "What will it be for drinks?"
I looked at them and they shrugged. "Everyone will have root beer and Wren will take another whiskey on the rocks and water."
After the waitress jotted down the rest of the order she walked away. "She seems a bit blonde."
I looked at Wren. "Does your mouth ever overload your ass?"
"Of course, it does. But I usually get out of it." She downed the rest of her whiskey.
I tapped my fingers on the table. "I'm shocked you can get out of it."
"Sloane, I will stick a spoon through your hand." I stopped tapping and put my hands in my lap.
Zig was sitting next to Wren. He poked her cheek. "Why so grumpy?"
She gave Zig a death stare. "If you want to keep that finger, keep it away from me."
His eyebrows came together. "Someone is a party pooper."
"Don't take it personally Zig. She is just a bit annoyed at the moment. I'm sure it will be okay when we get back to Oregon." The waitress put down our food.
Zig and Ziv looked at one another then back to me. "What? We have to deal with her being a grump the whole time we go to and from Canada?"
I sighed. "Unfortunately, yes. But it will be okay. You two aren't riding with her."
They scooted more towards us. "Good point."
I looked over to see dad, Bodhi, and Jett going to town on their food. They must have been hungry. I mean I know we ate a couple of hours ago, but the group can eat.
After full stomachs, we all sat back and tried to breath the pounds off. "Are you guys ready to go?"
They all shook their heads. "I will go and ask dad if they are too."
I walked over and sat down by Bodhi. "You ready to go? My crew is. We ate so much, I think we are all about to have a food baby."
"As soon as your dad gets done eating his pie, we will be ready." Jett rolled her eyes.
I giggled. "Let me guess, he is working on his fourth or fifth?"
Bodhi sighed. "His fifth."
I watched dad as she shoved the bite on his fork in his mouth. "Dad, after that you are cut off from pie. As soon as you are done, we are out of here."
Dad smiled through eating his pie. "Okay, we will be outside. Come on girls."
They followed me and the rest of the gang outside. "I'm sorry guys. Dad and his pie. He is a sucker for dessert."
They all laughed. The guys huddled together and the girls except Wren huddled too. Wren was such a lone wolf. Even though she was a witch.
I walked over to her. She was sitting on the hood of the Tahoe. "Why not be apart of the group?"
"I'm not a joiner." She sat there, hands in her jacket pockets.
"Wren, I like you. Everyone else would too if you'd just talk to them. When you aren't being a loner and threating to hurt someone, you are really sweet." I patted her knee.
She looked down at me, trying not to smile. "Phoenix said you were a really nice person."
"You and Phoenix talk about me?" I bit my lip.
Wren jumped down off the Tahoe. "Don't worry, it is all good. He is happy for you. He wants to be your friend. The guy is too nice sometimes."
"He is nice, a sweet guy." I smiled awkwardly.
"I am sure his sister is cooking up something though." Wren chuckled.
"Hey, that isn't funny. Gwendolyn is evil. Or a brat. I'm not sure which." I crossed my arms and pouted.
Wren laughed. "She is both. There is no either or. Or an in between. Just both."
"True that. So, you still going to ride with my dad?" I looked from her to Bodhi and Jett.
Wren let out a big huff. "No, I'm riding with you. So, Ziv or Zig need to ride in the front seat with your dad. If not, it may be weird."
Dad came out of the diner. "Dad, Wren is riding with us. Will it be weird if you drive the girls all the way to Canada?"
"No, not at all. Instead of driving one Miss Daisy, it will be two." He dug his keys out of his pocket.
I turned towards the twins. "Guys, get in the back. Wren is riding with us."
They both looked at one another and hung their heads. I snickered. They were really scared of Wren. I know it was the way she looked and acted. But deep down she was sweet.