Ch. 24: Enemy With The Enemy

I couldn't just keep sitting and lying in this bed. I felt better than I had before. I know I felt better than I had when it all happened. I had to get out of here before I went nuts. All of them looking over me was too much. I waited until the twins left to leave. I knew if I left when they were at Zeke's, I wouldn't even get the window open before they came in and told me to come back in.
I wasn't about to take the truck. It caused to much noise. So, I had to walk into town. Which was twenty minutes away. But it was worth the walk. I needed the fresh air.
I couldn't get over Bowie cutting his tattoo off. It was more than a stab in the back. It was a stab to the heart and my heart pulled out of my chest with me watching every minute of it.
If Bowie would have only told me how he felt. We could have gotten through it and may be none of this would be happening. I would still have a friend. My fleet wouldn't be broken. My body wouldn't be in pain and my heart wouldn't ache.
The more I walked, the more I thought about all of it. The more I wanted to beat the shit out of Bowie. The more he became an enemy. I couldn't trust him anymore. Someone who could do that all because of jealousy was someone not to trust. Someone that needed to make sure to keep their distance.
***
I had finally made it into town. I needed to find some place to sit. I made my way into the diner and took the booth in the back.
The waitress came up to the booth. "What can I get you?"
"Water." I didn't even glance in her direction.
She didn't seem to care. She left and came back with my water. I watched everyone come in and out. I was hoping I would see Bowie. I wanted to make him feel what I felt.
"There you are." I looked up seeing Phoenix.
He scooted into the other side of the booth. "How did you find me?"
"A locator spell. Who are you waiting for?" He waved his hand for the waitress to come over.
"Right, I live in a life with witches." I was still hoarse from sleeping for a week.
The waitress was standing at the table. "Yes, can I get some fries and two burgers. Root beer to drank."
He looked back to me. "You trying to find Bowie?"
I shook my head. "Sloane, he isn't hard to find. Plus, you need to stay away from him. If it's true what your fleet said you shouldn't even see him. You aren't just a wolf. You are a witch too. Looking at him, there is no telling what would come to your mind. I'm not letting you kill him."
My head snapped to look at him. "Why wouldn't you let me?"
"Because you are better than that. You aren't cruel or a killer Sloane." He tried grabbing my hand, but I moved.
"You have no idea the pain I felt. All I want to do is make him feel the same way." I spat.
Phoenix sighed. "How about we eat? Then we can go look for Bowie together."
I looked at the burger and fries. I was hungry. I hadn't eaten in a week and being in a place that smelt of food made me want to eat a cow.
"Fine." I took the burger and started chowing down.
By the time we were almost done eating in silence. Bowie walked into the diner. I was about to get up to go talk to him when I saw Gwendolyn by his side.
"Why is Gwendolyn with Bowie?" I gritted through my teeth.
Phoenix looked confused. "What? No way."
He turned around to where I was looking. "What the? Why are they here and together?"
"I just asked that." I said sarcastically.
Phoenix turned back around to look at me. "Okay, we need to get you back to the fleet and guardians. You need to get better and we need to set up some teams to spy on those two. I don't like that they are hanging out together."
"Why don't you like it?" I crossed my arms.
"Because she may be my sister. But all Gwendolyn wants is drama and bad blood to be spilled. She will do anything to make sure things go down the wrong path." Phoenix sounded nervous.
"Then come on. Let's go to Zeke's and talk about a game plan." I got up and started walking with Phoenix right behind me.
I turned around. Phoenix almost running into me. "Don't even acknowledge that they are here. You do it will just set off something."
I turned back around and walked straight for the door leaving behind whatever Gwendolyn and Bowie were cooking up.