Ch. 15: Ashby Beach

I was putting on my wet suit when the girls came to the back of the Volkswagen van. "You need help."
I was struggling to zip up the back. "Yeah, I can't zip it."
Jett came over and zipped me right up. "Thanks."
"No problem." She smiled going back over to Bodhi's side.
Frankie looked at them. "You two don't hardly leave each other's side, do you?"
Jett shook her head, but Bodhi answered. "No. Unless we go home. Other than that, we are together all the time. Even if we are home, one of us comes over."
Frankie beamed. "That is amazing and too sweet."
I put a hand on Franks shoulder. "Forgive my shirt. She is the romantic type."
Zeke popped up. "Oh, she is, is she?"
I wanted to throw a knife at Zeke. "Zeke, aren't you supposed to be with the guys or something?"
"Calm yourself down Sloane. I know, I can't do anything." Zeke rolled his eyes walking off.
Frankie hit my arm. "Ouch, what was that for?"
"I like him. It shouldn't matter that he is older." Frankie walked off.
Jett put an arm around my shoulders. "Let me tell you something, that may help the situation. Zeke is only sixteen. He is the youngest. He is in our grade because he is so smart."
"How did I not know this?" I was baffled.
Bodhi and Jett both shrugged. "We have no clue."
I walked to find Frankie. I found her kissing Zeke. "Franks."
They pulled away looking at me. "Oh, fuck it. Just don't forget, I'll cut you it she gets hurt or pregnant."
Zeke's eyes widen. "Yes, ma'am."
Frankie's face lit up. She was happy. I was glad she was getting her happy little romance. That's all she ever talked about was finding a boyfriend and falling in love. They were young, so I didn't know if it would last. But if she was happy right now, I guess that is all that mattered.
I walked down to the beach. Everyone was sitting down by their surf boards. "I thought we came here to surf?"
The twins shot up like bullets. "Let's do this!"
They ran towards the water. I laughed following behind them. Then everyone joined in. Even Bowie who was a grump joined in.
After a few waves, I sat on my board, watching the waves out in the distance. It was beautiful at Ashby beach. I could watch the waves for the longest.
"You know the beach is named after your family. It's on the east side, that's why." Bowie came up beside me on his board.
I looked over at him. He was cute and handsome. He had olive skin with white hair and blue eyes. The pinkish red color in his cheeks made him look cute. The body made him hot.
Everyone I guess had their own look. The twins were unison in everything. Even how they dressed. They had that punky look going. All of them did, even Frankie and me. Bodhi was the exception, she had the hippie thing going on.
The twins always wore black on black. It all matched head to two. Ozzi had his band shirts and skinny jeans. Jett had her cut off shirts, flannel, and skinny jeans. Zeke had a preppy punk look. Bowie had the white and black punk look. They were all handsome and pretty.
I loved how they looked. The twins had the sides and back of their head shaved and laid out on top like they were in England. Their eyes were one side blue and the other green. Ozzi, he was a red head and freckles with blue eyes. Jett had strawberry blonde hair with blue eyes. Bodhi had her head shaved down to peach fuzz and looked like her mom. Zeke had a nice prep school boy haircut and hazel eyes.
"Earth to Sloane." Fingers were snapping in front of my face.
I shook my head getting out of my thoughts. "Sorry, I was just looking at everyone."
"What about us?" Bowie looked around at everyone.
I shrugged. "You all are beautiful people."
He chuckled. "Comes with the genes. Literally, wolf and witches."
"I believe you are right." I chuckled with him.
Bowie's cheeks blushed. "Have you seen you and Frankie? You two fit right in. Probably even more so. Her long dark brown hair and pale skin with green eyes. Your long black hair with green eyes and pale skin. You two hit the gene jackpot."
"I guess you are right. Frankie is beautiful. As for me, I am okay." I looked out over the water.
"You are beautiful, Sloane." Bowie said nervously.
I looked over at him and smiled. "Thanks Bowie."
Jett came up beside us. "What are you two talking about?"
Bowie paddled off. That was weird even for Bowie. I turned to Jett. "About how beautiful you all are."
Jett snickered. "Thank you, you are beautiful yourself Sloane."
"That's what Bowie said." I kind of blushed and started to paddle out further.
Jett was right beside me. We sat back up on our boards. "I wouldn't do it."
"Do what?" I wasn't for sure what she was talking about.
She frowned. "Bowie. He may be our brother, but I don't trust him sometimes. He is an ass and he likes to start shit. I just don't think it would be a good idea."
"According to Bodhi, it doesn't seem like it would be a bad idea." I waved my hands across the water.
Jett's voice was a whisper. "Bodhi is sweet and looks at the good in everyone. She doesn't see what Ozzi and I see. Bowie isn't our real brother. He is adopted. Doesn't mean he isn't part of the fleet. Because he is. Our dad carries the Barlow bloodline. He cheated on our mom and that's how we ended up with Bowie. Mom swallowed all her pride and took him in just like he was hers. His mom died giving birth. He has always had problems."
"That is awful. Maybe he needs someone to try and understand that. Then things wouldn't be so bad." I said matter of flatly.
Jett shook her head. "Just don't Sloane. That's the only warning I am giving you. The rest, is up to you."
"If I did go after Bowie. Not saying I'm going to but if. I would be okay. Don't worry so much Jett." I paddled back to the shore leaving Jett out in the open ocean.
I laid my board down and sat down. What gave Jett any right to tell me to not go after Bowie. Bowie was a grump and yes, he can be an ass. That didn't mean he didn't have a heart.
The twins sat down with me. "Why so glum?"
Ziv wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "Jett."
Zig wrapped his arm around me then. "Do we need to talk to her?"
"No. She just thinks I shouldn't go after Bowie. She says he is trouble." I stared out at the water.
The twins were silent. I looked from Ziv to Zig. "What is it?"
They looked at one another. "We have to agree. He is mean most of the time Sloane. He is part of this fleet and we protect our own as much as we protect everyone else. But there is something off about him."
Ziv had a worry in his eyes. I looked at Zig who held a pleading sorry. "Maybe everyone is wrong."
The twins didn't say anything. They just stayed by my side letting me have my silence. I don't know how it happened, but they felt like family. They were family. I felt protected by them. Like nothing could touch me.
***
Getting to hangout and surf all day at Ashby beach was splendid. I had so much fun with everyone. Zeke had announced he and Frankie were together. Everyone cheered and through a mini party for the two. The party consisted of hot chocolate and smores. 
I was happy for my little baby sister. I was always going to be protective over her. But she was happy and that is all that mattered to me.
There were now two couples in the group. Zeke and Frankie. Bodhi and Jett. I wondered if anyone else in the group had a thing for someone.
"Ziv, Zig, do you two have a thing for anyone?" I took a drink of my hot chocolate and pulled the blanket up around my head.
They looked at one another looking back at everyone else. "No."
Jett reached for another smore. "Oh, come on guys. If there is someone, you can tell us."
They both shook their heads. "There is no one. We don't have the desire to be with anyone in any way. We are happy with that."
Bodhi smiled. "Well, I am happy for you two."
I raised my hot chocolate up in the air. "Here, here. I'm happy for you too."
Everyone else joined in. The fleet really supported each other in anything they done. They accepted each other for who they were and didn't change a thing about them.
"What about you Ozzi?" Zeke elbowed him.
Ozzi blushed. "Yeah, but it would never work."
"Why is that? You are such a catch." I winked at him.
Ozzi was adorable and sweet. He always watched out for people's feelings. He was respectful too.
"I don't know if he likes me and I wouldn't want to get him caught up in the whole fleet, guardian, and witch life. That's a lot to take on even being a part of it and already knowing." Ozzi frowned.
I got up and went to sit by him. I wrapped the blanket around us. "Oh, Ozzi. Maybe one day. If good or bad comes out of it, you got us."
Ozzi beamed. "Thank you, Sloane and everyone."
The twins smiled. "What about you Sloane?"
I half laughed. "I don't know. I haven't been here long enough. Plus, it wouldn't matter. I must figure out a way to be with an Appleberry. My future partner is already set."
Bowie huffed. "You have a choice. You don't have to be with him. Freewill."
"Okay. What about you Bowie? You like anyone?" I straightened myself up and stared into his eyes.
He smirked and then put the wall back up. "No. I hate everyone."
Bowie got up and walked away going into the woods. He really was a butthole. How could I feel like there was something there? Or that he was different? This love thing wasn't going to be simple. Freaking curses.