Ch. 14: Leaving With a New Member

As soon as the sun shined through the windows, I was up and getting ready as fast as I could. I was ready to get the hell out of the castle. Being in Canada was great. Being in the castle and knowing Claudette was under the same roof, not so great.
Slade sat up rubbing his eyes. "What are you doing?"
"Getting ready to leave." I was finishing tying up my boots.
Slade was still groggy. "What time is it Sloane?"
"It is five in the morning. I am going to go and wake up everyone else. Get up and be ready when I get back." I left him there in a grumpy state.
I went and knock on every door. The twins and dad I had to bang on the door. They were not in a good mood getting up this early. But I wasn't wasting anymore time in the castle.
I was heading back to the room Slade and I were in when I ran into Jonathon. "Good morning."
"Good morning Sloane. Can we talk?" He had a bag in his hand.
I looked at the bag. "Going somewhere?"
"I'm hoping you'd let me go with you. I don't want to stay here anymore. I don't believe in what they do." He shrugged.
"Okay, let's go. Help me get everyone out of here." I walked off to get Slade.
When I walked in Slade was putting on his shirt. "Hey."
"Hi." He didn't even look at me.
"I will drive this morning. We will go back to Jason's mansion and eat. Get more rest and leave tomorrow." I walked over to him.
He was putting on his leather jacket. He sighed and looked down at me. "Okay. I'm just sleepy. Don't take me being a butthead personal."
"I'm not." I reached up and kissed him.
***
When we were all outside getting in the cars, the elders showed up. Claudette was standing there proper as any elder could be. "Jonathon, where do you think you are going?"
I grabbed one of Jonathon's bags to put in the car. "Just tell her."
He turned around to face them. "I'm leaving. I don't want to be here anymore. I thank you for taking me in when I was an orphan. I appreciate everything you have done. But I'm done here."
"You most certainly are not done." Claudette stomped down the steps to stand in front of Jonathon.
He squared his shoulders. "I'm done. I'm not on your side. I never was. I also know all about everything you were planning to do to people like me. I will protect my people with everything I have. So, if you want to come after us, we won't hesitate to come for you."
I grabbed on to his arm, pulling him back. "Come on Jonathon."
He got in the car with my dad, Bodhi, and Jett. I got in the driver seat and we drove as fast as we could away from the castle that held Claudette and her minions.
***
Finally, we were back at the mansion. I was happy to be back. I could have kissed the ground. But I didn't. I helped Jonathon with his bags and set up his room until in the morning when we leave.
Jonathon was sitting on the bed. I could tell he was nervous. "How are you feeling?"
"Sloane, I don't think I should have left. What if something bad happens?" He was rubbing his hands on his jeans.
I sat down beside him. "You done the right thing. You know that. If you didn't know, you wouldn't have done it."
Jonathon gave a genuine smile. "I know. What is there to eat around here?"
"Let's go find out." We went downstairs.
Everyone was gathered in the kitchen. 'Where is the chief?"
"We have no idea. He didn't answer when we rang the bell. He is probably asleep." Zig was sitting up on the counter.
I jumped up beside him. "Who wants to cook?"
Everyone walked off expect Slade and Jonathon. "Okay, I guess it is just us three. What shall we cook?"
Jonathon started looking through cabinets to find everything. "How about spaghetti?"
Slade rubbed his stomach. "That sounds great."
"I will make the garlic bread. Well, put butter and garlic on bread and bake it." I went over and got everything I needed.
The guys were getting along which was good. Even the others didn't seem to mind that Jonathon was here. But I could be wrong. They were good at hiding how they felt until they wanted you to know.
I stood by Slade. "Do you like Jonathon? Are you okay with him being with us and going back with us?"
Slade looked at me then back to the tomatoes he was chopping. "I like him, and we could use someone who was on the inside. It all works out."