Chapter Three-Tricks

My eyes begin to open and as I look around I can tell I am in a hospital. I look to my right and I see James laying on a hospital bed. I go to stand up but realize my left arm is handcuffed to the metal bar on my bed. My right arm however has bandages around my shoulder and a sling on my arm.

James is asleep but looks okay, he is handcuffed too. I hear a knock on the door then a tall looking man with a white doctors coat enters. He sees that I am awake, then walks over to James and wakes him up. The doctor then leaves the room.

James looks around then sees me and tries to get up but realizes he is handcuffed. He is trying to get it off when I remember I have a few Bobby pins in my hair. I pull one out and hold it up like a little kid that won a trophy. He smiles as I toss it his way. He starts to work on his cuffs when we hear another knock on the door. He quickly hides the Bobby pin and two men with mercenary patches enter.

One of them looks like a security guard, the other looks like someone who has a lot of power. The guard stands by the door and the "boss" pulls up a chair in between us.

He looks at James and says "So we meet again."

I look at James and his eyes are red with rage.

The boss says to him "Let's not mess around, you know me, I know you, so where are your bases located?"

James stays silent, staring at him, taunting him with the information he can't have. The boss walks over to me, holds out his hand and says "Hello dear, my name is Edward."

I hold my left hand up and say "I'm a little stuck right now, as you can see."

He smirks then walks on the other side of my bed so he is facing both James and I. He then pulls out a knife with one hand, and grabs my wrist with the other.

James yells "Leave her alone, she has nothing to do with this."

Edward rips my sling off causing me to groan in pain and Edward replies, "Oh but she has everything to do with this, where are the bases?"

As his attention is on James I hit the knife out of his hand, and I manage to grab his wrist and twist it till he screams. The guard runs over to him, and next thing I know James' fist hits the guard right in the head. Edward runs out the door leaving behind his unconscious guard.

James grabs the key off of the guard and uncuffs me. He takes the clothes off of the guard and puts it on while I get up. When I look down at my clothes I am relieved that I do not have a hospital gown on, but my clothes are torn and bloody in many places.

James finishes getting dressed and walks over to me. He puts the Bobby pin back in my hair then says "Look........"

I can tell he's trying to get my name so I say "Rebecca, my names Rebecca."

He continues, "Look Rebecca, I know we just met and all, and you have no reason to trust me but."

I pull him into a hug and I whisper, "I do trust you, now let's get out of here."

I make my way to the door and wait for him as I slightly stunned him.

He walks over then says "put your hands behind your back, I need to make it look like I am transporting you."

I do as he says and we continue out the door. Many nurses and doctors pass us in the busy hallway. A few Security guards come running down the hallway and stops when they see us.

One says "You got the girl, where's the male?"

James replies with "He ran out the door the other way only a few moments ago."

They go running in the direction James points to and I whisper to myself "Wow, he's good."

I guess he heard me though because he whispers back "I know I am."

I look up at him and he smirks at me and moves his eyebrows up and down. I cannot help but giggle as we exit the building. The sun is starting to set and I can see Edward talking to another group of security guards.

We silently walk in the opposite direction until we hear Edward yell "that's them, he's an imposter."

James runs in front of me and takes my hand pulling me to the nearest vehicle. It's a small older motorcycle ((picture at top)) with no mirrors and just a front headlight. We jump on and he pulls the throttle back and we take off.

Gunshots are hitting all around us until I hear Edward yell "Stop we need them alive!"

We race out of the parking lot and are followed by a few trucks and cars. About five minutes down the road we get to a very long bridge. When we are about half way down it we see a road block at the very end.

We stop, dead in our tracks and he looks at me and says "stay here, I'll try to make a deal with them, if I can't I'll try to make an opening so you can drive out of here."

As he goes to walk away I grab his hand and I say "let's get one thing straight Soldier boy, we stay together, and if we can't...

James then pulls me into him and kisses me. He then says "I love you" then let's go of me and walks away.

The people who were following us were enclosing on me now while James was walking towards the road block people. I saw him get to them then quickly turn around yelling something. The people there, were holding him back from coming to me and I didn't know what to do. Before I could go anywhere the people that were following us are only a few feet behind me incoming fast. I jump onto the bike and turn the key but nothing happens. I do it once more and the results are the same.

Without having any choices left I run over to the railing of the bridge and climb on top of it. Edward walks out of the side that was following us and comes close to me.

I yell out "Stay back or I'll jump."

He takes another step taunting me and I take a small step backwards towards the edge and I say "You need me alive."

He stops where he's at then starts to walk to my right but doesn't come any closer to me than he was before. My eyes follow him as he talks some nonsense to me but next thing I know I feel a man pull me down from my left side.

He holds me in a bear hug and Edward walks up to me and says with a big grin "Your right I do need you alive."

Feeling defeated I quit fighting as there is a small army surrounding me. As they are about to put me in one of the vehicles, I look down the bridge and see James' face one last time before they shove me into the truck.