Chapter Eight-Anger

Rebecca's POV:
I feel instant pain in my body as I feel myself violently rolling. The spinning stops and manage to open my eyes. My eyes open to reveal a dark forest only being barely lit up by the bright glow off the moon.

I hear footsteps behind me and I quickly pull myself against a tree trying to hide my body. I hear James yelling my name on one side of me and the footsteps coming closer. I close my eyes until I hear the noise stop. I open my eyes to see the man standing a few feet in front of me facing James' direction.

The man points his gun so I stand up to the best of my ability but the man hears me and quickly turns around. I throw my hands into the air and before the man can say anything, all I see is a dark figure ramming the man into the ground. The man stays on the ground unconscious and the shadow stands up. It starts to walk towards me and I'm backed up to a tree. It's not till he's inches away that I notice that it is James.

He pulls me into him then whispers "I am so sorry."

I give him a puzzling look then ask "what happened?"

His eyebrows move up in confusion till we hear more footsteps.

James puts me onto his back as he starts to walk through the woods.

As I hold onto James I notice a tree that had the exact same hole in it from five minutes ago. I tap on James' shoulder then point at the tree.

He shakes his head as he mumbles "Shit, were going in circles."

James puts me down by the tree then whispers "I'm going to look around, I'll be right back."

Before he manages to leave I grab his arm and whisper "I want to go with you."

He gives me a weak smile and says "even though I carry you it wastes your energy, just rest till I get back okay."

I nod my head in defeat as he walks off into the woods.

James POV:

I hate to leave her, but this forest is so dark and thick we've been walking in circles for half an hour.

I hear some people talking so I silently make my way over to them. When I arrive I see that it is from the farmhouse we visited. They have the family lined up outside with guns and lights pointed at them. I begin to make my way towards them when the guns go off. I freeze as I see their lifeless bodies hit the ground.

Rage and anger fill me to the point that I am charging as fast as I can towards the mercenaries who did it until I hear a loud scream coming from behind me. I stop in my tracks and see the guards look towards the scream and a few of them go in that direction. Without a second thought I start to run towards it and I know I have to save my angel.

I'm running through the woods as fast as I can but it is really hard because of how dark it is. I see two figures ahead of me and I hear a gunshot go off and someone hit the floor. I get a few feet away and Rebecca is standing there holding a pistol frozen in place. I slowly walk up to her and grab the gun from her hands. She doesn't even move and it's like she's in another world. I take the dead mans holster, put it on, and slip the gun into it. I also take his extra mag, helmet, and body armor off of him. I put the body armor on Rebecca and she doesn't even move.

I put my hand on her face and I say "Come back to me Rebecca, I need you."

Tears run down her face and I can see the recognition in her eyes as she comes back down to our world.

She's about to speak but I put my hand on her mouth and shake my head to stop her as I know that those other guards will be here any minute. I drag the mans body into some brush, put Rebecca on my back and start to head away from this mess.

Every part of me wants to break down and either cry or punch something but I have to fight it.

Rebecca can tell that I am spacing out as she taps on me and whispers "James, thank you."

Her voice alone brings me back to reality and brings me to a brief peace.

Two Hours Later

After a long night we arrive at a very large farm with many barns and a few houses. It's not uncommon to find many farms in this area because the land is so flat. We go through the cornfield to one of the largest barns they have. When I slide the door open Rebecca wakes up and is startled but for only a moment.

I put her down and I look for a good spot we can lay down for awhile but it needs to be hidden. I find a second floor where lots of hay is piled. I walk over to her and give her the medicine that Jeremiah gave to me.

Once she chews it up I say "Look we need to climb up this ladder so we can hide up there."

She slightly nods her head and slowly walks over to it. I can tell she's exhausted and I'm glad I decided to stop us here for the night.

She climbs up the ladder with me following closely behind in case she loses her strength. She crawls into the hay pile and I pile more hay on top of her for warmth. I wait for her to fall asleep then climb down the ladder. I check my gun to see how much ammo I have, and I have six bullets.

I put it back into my holster and make my way to the farmers crops. He has some apple trees with a few apples on them so I grab four of them and head back to the barn. I climb back up the ladder and I see her squirming around like she's dreaming again. I slide into the hay pile right beside her and pull her into my chest. She relaxes and my eyes close knowing that for the moment, my angel is safe.