Chapter Eighteen- Pain

"How much ammo do you have Noah?"

"Not enough"

Their voices echo in my head till my eyes manage to open.

I sit up to see both of them stare at me wide eyed, like a deer in headlights.

Noah puts his finger to lips to silence me then points at the ground.

I look down to see an army of mercenaries marching right beneath us.

It is still dark outside but luckily light enough that we aren't completely blind.

My mind instantly goes into overdrive asking millions of questions,
what if they see us?
what if they capture us?
what if they kill Noah and Zach and take me?

I can feel my body start to shake until Zach's hand grips my arm.

My head flies up and our eyes connect.

He pulls me closer to him and whispers "it's okay, we won't let them hurt you."

I nod knowing that there is no guarantee of that but I'll take it.

The army seems endless and I can tell that Damien is doing everything he can to get me back...

*bang, bang, bang*

Gunshots erupt and instantly the people below us start yelling and shooting.

My biggest question right now though, Who is shooting at the mercenaries?

The army below us advances towards the gunshots and Noah starts to climb down the tree.

Gunshots start to hit the tree we are in and Noah starts to return fire.

Zach waits for my eyes to reach his, then he picks me up and throws me.

I'm flying through the air with my life flashing before my eyes until I land on the ground, no wait it's softer than the ground.

I roll onto my stomach to see Noah under me. He gives me an embarrassing look for standing us both up.

He starts to pull me to a nearby tree but I hear a loud explosion and turn around. I see Zach's body falling out of the tree almost like a shooting star.

I pull my arm out of Noah's grip and run as fast as possible to Zach. As I kneel beside his lifeless body I can see he has pieces of metal fragments in each of his limbs, with a gunshot to his leg.

I hear soldiers approaching but I can't see them yet because of all of the trees and bushes.

I look back to Noah who is watching from behind a tree. I point to him, then to Zach and give him a nod.

His eyes grow wide as he knows what I am about to do. He starts to run towards me but I book it towards where I heard the soldiers. I can see that the soldiers see me but luckily I am in a spot where they can't see Zach.

Although the last thing I want is to be back in their clutches, I can't watch Zach die because of me, not after him risking his life for me.

The two guards raise their guns but before they can shoot I yell out "My name is Rebecca Winters, and I am the one your are looking for."

They lower their guns then grab me and start dragging me. We get to a dirt road and they throw me into the back seat of a truck. The truck has bars on the windows surrounding me so I can't leave.

After about fifteen minutes the car comes to a stop, and the soldiers get out.

I move slightly to see if there is anything I can use as a weapon in the truck, and I feel something in my pocket. I reach into my pocket and pull out whatever it is. It's a pocket knife with the letter Z on it.

I can't help but put on a small smile knowing that even though Zach isn't here, he is still doing everything he can to protect me.

I hear a commotion of voices getting closer so I quickly put the knife away before they get to me. The car door opens and I am pulled out of it by the same men that took me.

We are at a large base with soldiers everywhere. They have weird uniforms, they look nothing like the rebel ones, or the mercenaries. Huh, the mercenaries must have changed their uniforms or something, I don't know.

I see a line of five people who all have guns pointed at them and the soldier is pulling me towards them.

I refuse to go out like this, to die by a firing squad after all this, no, I won't.

I pull my knife out of my pocket and stab the guy as best I can. I barely miss his neck but I manage to plunge it into his shoulder. He lets out a scream as I turn around and run a few feet but there is a guard standing there with his gun aimed. I turn back around again to bump into the chest of someone. A tear runs down my cheek as there can't be a way out of this one.

I look up and I can't believe my eyes.