Part 21

I woke up by the sound of the front door. It was way too early. Where was he even going? I jumped on my feet and opened the door again. He turned around and looked surprised for a second.

"Did I woke you up accidentally?" I was not really expecting him to look that way like he felt bad for waking me up, and I shook my head.

"No, it's fine." He nodded but still said that I should go back to sleep since it was really early. This was not something I was expecting to hear from someone that said I was lazy for sleeping, just a few mounts ago. "Where are you going?" he laughed and for a second I felt like I could hear his thoughts. Noisy girl...

"Town." He answered.

***

I sighed after I saw her expression. It was obvious.

"Do you want to come?" it looked like she was ready to jump on her place. She said yes a  little too excited and then said it again, trying to sound a little less excited. Okay, It looks like staying in the house all of the time was not something she liked... but I can't blame her. I guess staying in one place all alone all day was boring even if she had her knives and training. "You have 5 minutes. Hurry up." She closed the door and I waited for her outside. She was out in about four minutes and a half, still putting her hair in a bun, not the usual ponytail. It looked good on her. She was wearing the other pair of clothing and said she was ready with a slight smile on her face. I nodded.

We walked for more than forty minutes. I had enough money for food so I was not concerned. Hanabi looked so happy when I bought fish. Okay, it looks like that's something she likes. She was walking quietly next to me and was looking around with curious expression. I found it...ammussing.

I walked toward the next shop. I realized she was not following when I asked her if she wanted apples or pairs. I bought apples and left. Looked around for her when I went back in the street and it didn't take long to notice her. Sitting on a bench next to a lazy looking grey cat. I stayed in the corner wondering when she will decide to look where I went...or maybe she was planning to wait for me there? She should've told me if she was tired or wanted to sit for a while... not just stay behind alone like that.

Some random man approached her. She looked up and then around like she was finally realizing he was talking to her. She put an awkward smile on her face and said something. She can handle herself. I was sure she could beat the man if she has to so I decided not to intervene. For now. To be honest I was kind of having fun looking at her and her pathetic attempts to make the man go away. The cat ran somewhere and this was the only time I saw her frowning. She liked the cat. She tried to walk away but the man followed her a step... and then another man kind of pushed the first one. Hanabi looked even more uncomfortable. This was getting ridiculous. I walked toward her.

"Let's go" I said and the two men looked at me.

"I told you I was waiting for my husband." She smiled. I tried not to look confused when she grabbed my hand. She looked at the second man. " And... thank you for the help". Even though she never said it I could hear the rest of the sentence...she did not need help... We walked away. She was still holding my hand. Her skin was warm and soft. Hanabi grabbed one of the bags with groceries in the other hand.

"Husband, ha?" she looked at me and her face became red again and she looked away.

"I just wanted to make him go away. And this looked way more civilized than punching him in the face." She explained. I guess I can understand. I mean...I know how annoying some people can be.

"Maybe you should've punched him." She looked surprised for a second. Then took a breath in.

"Okay, next time I will." She let my hand go and took the grocery bag with her right hand. "Like I said...I didn't want to make a scene. But I guess you won't understand..."

"Me? No... if I recall it properly you are the one that's making messy scenes every time we go to a town. " she looked at me again and tried to say something. "You know...stealing, trying to beat one poor doctor... and now causing a fight..." her face was enough to show how annoyed she was. I laughed. "It's fine. As long as we don't have to go to a third town because of you..." she laughed with me. I knew perfectly well why she said I was her husband in front of the people. We do not look alike to pass for siblings. And to be honest I am not sure if a cousin would sound threatening enough to make the other man go away. She's a smart one. But let's be honest apart from that no one in their right mind would want to have anything in common with someone like me.

She was silent for a while, while we were walking. But I also had nothing to say. I guess the whole conversation about how nice the weather was today would be boring. So silence was fine.

"You know... I will not introduce you as my husband anymore since you don't like it." She said and I looked at her. She hugged the bad with the groceries. "Race form here to the house. The last one will cook." And she ran as fast as she could. It took me a second to realize what was happening and I ran after her. It was obvious that even if I win I will be the one cooking.

I won...

-------------------------

Sorry it took so long...