Chapter 1

Climbing off the train on to the deserted platform I took a deep breath and sighed, creating a puff in the air. Checking my watch it had just gone 8pm, hopefully I'd be able to find my way to a b&b in the pitch black of this little rural Scottish village. My duffle-bag stuffed with all that I owned hung heavy off my left shoulder while my back pack holding my purse and camera was on my right, which I held close to my side.
With not a soul in sight I made my way round the tiny train station building to the road. At least here there was some street lights and looking down the road there were houses dotted about. No lights on, except one. I could just about make out the small b&b sign hanging off the thatched cottage swaying in the wind. Slowly I made my way towards the lights hoping it was as welcoming as it looked or at the very least had a room available. I was exhausted from the long train journey so was eager to get into a warm bed.
Pushing open the door I slipped inside welcomed instantly by the warm air. A short woman at least in her 60s sat beside the counter reading a tatty copy of Frankenstein, a small smile on her soft face. The door clicked shut behind me and she looked up her smile widening. "Hello sweetie," it was the first person to speak to me here and her accent was so strong. "Lookin' for a room?" her voice was so friendly as she stood up and went round the counter opening a large heavy ledger.
"Uh yes please," I replied stepping up to the counter and dropping my heavy duffel bag on the floor.
"How long would you like to stay?" She asked turning to the rack of keys hanging off the wall. I could see they had only four rooms but also kept the keys to rooms like the kitchen here.
"A few weeks, not really sure" I was always hopeful I could stay longer but never did. "Is cash okay?"
"Of course dear," she handed me a key and scribbled in the ledger. "What's your name sweetie?"
"Amy, just Amy" I had long since given up my last name not that it had ever been important to me. She scribbled again in the ledger then closed it up.
"Well that's sorted, you must be tired. It is ever so late, why don't you go up to bed. We serve breakfast at 7am in the dinning hall down there," she pointed down the right of the counter "or I can have it brought to your room."
"Thank you, could I have it brought to my room?" I asked politely. I didn't know if anyone else was here and didn't want to interact with anyone if I could avoid it.
"Of course," she opened the ledger and scribbled beside her earlier scribbles. "Your room is the first door on the right at the top of the stairs." She smiled pointing at the staircase. I nodded a thank you then headed up as she settled herself back in the chair to read again.
The stairs creaked as I made my way up to room one. My home for the next few weeks, where the bed was calling to me. I unlocked the door and walked inside.
Everything inside the small room was very old fashioned, I imagined the furniture was as old as the building itself possibly the village too. It smelled old too which didn't put me off it actually made me feel more comfortable, it was that lived in feeling. I put my bags down on the floor by the end of the bed and lay down. The bed creaked loudly as soon as I settled down. I couldn't be bothered with changing for bed and as I closed my eyes I felt sleep quickly take over me.