Chapter 9

Keyan slipped me gently in to the back of a black Jeep, which Katie was sat in the front passenger seat already. Caleb seemed to be packing the back up with coolers of food and our bags. Keyan leaned on the car's frame "I'll be a day, two at the most to check the whole territory edge." He leaned closer then pulled back and went over to Caleb.
I couldn't hear what they were saying and was soon distracted by Katie. "How's your leg? Do you need any pain relief?"
Shaking my head I explained, "the doctor guy already gave me some."
Katie giggled "you can call him Don, everyone does." She turned to face forward as Caleb climbed into the drivers seat.
"Ready ladies?" He had a strong Scottish accent and beamed almost exactly like Katie did. I looked out the car as Keyan came and shut it, the window was down so he leaned in and took my hand squeezing gently before letting go and waving his hand for us to leave.
There was three other jeeps in the convoy. One with Don and Kieran in, that was Caleb's brother and the third wolf who rescued me. They were carrying medical supplies and some more food. They were followed by another jeep carrying some of the pack's belongings. These three, as Katie explained would be followed by the rest of the pack over the next few days. Keyan would only come when he knew his pack was well out of harms way.
I watched as the forest passed by and the lush green pines became thicker. We were going a lot higher into the hills than we started. The ground was bumpy causing my leg to ache more and more. I gritted my teeth breathing through the increasing pain. Finally we came to a clearing and a large cabin seemed to appear out of nowhere. It was late afternoon and a mist had gathered round the cabin. There was more smaller cabins scattered about in the mist that I could just about make out as Caleb pulled up beside the large cabin.
Everyone climbed out of the cars except me, Katie had a notebook in her hands as she stood next to my car door. They all gathered round as she gave instructions, "Caleb and Kieran go turn the generators on then come back. Don if you coordinate unpacking the cars." There was a flurry of movement while Katie leaned on the door. "Once Caleb is back he'll carry you up to Keyan's room. Then I'll cook some dinner." I was staring down at the tree covered hill unable to see even the road we'd come on, the mist was getting thicker. "Don't worry he'll be fine," Katie smiled then went to open the boot of the car. She began pulling things out while we waited for Caleb to come back.
I continued to watch the mist in the trees and a deep feeling of unease grew inside me. Anything could be in those trees, but surely Katie and the others would sense it. Keyan trusted them to take care of me so I was going to trust them too.