Prologue

Prologue

Brown Parents never give you surprises, and when they do, it's called an arranged marriage.

The same thing happened to me. At, twenty-six, I was happily single and hardworking but as Char log says, apparently my biological clock was ticking. If I did not get married now, I would not get the groom of my choice. The good men would run out.

Consequently, the same Char log somehow convinced Vansh's mother too, after my daadi ma. Vansh and I worked together in the same company. His mother and My grandmother met in a temple and became friends.

The following Sunday, daadi ma, invited them to our house. When that brown mop of hair entered my house, we both looked at each other in shock. None had an idea about what was happening.

This coincidence inspired both the ladies and somehow they interpreted it as god's signal to get us married. Bringing me where I am today, sitting on a sofa of the hotel, applying Mehandi to my hands, which I hate the most.

Not that I dislike Vansh or anything. In fact, we were pretty good friends and colleagues but I barely know him. Knowing someone for two months and marrying him is something very weird. But the ladies' emotional drama made us agree to this.

I could just hope that everything turns out to be positive.

"Look he's there. Now go, ask him to find his name in your Mehandi" Sakshi made me stand up, and pushed me forward. Sakshi had been pestering me from the day I told her about Vansh. Hoping for a potential 'Love Story'.

"Sakshi, I am not doing this" I gave her a pointed look before looking at Vansh. He was smiling politely and talking to elders. I would be lying if I say that he did not look good in his blue kurta and messed up brown hair.

"But what the hell not? It's a ritual and good omen" she whined, trying to drag me to Vansh.

"Because I said so" I glared at her to make her shut up. She huffed and crossed her hands on her chest. What would I even say? 'Hey Vansh, Find your name' yes? No. Hell no.

"Do you need anything?" he spoke from behind me, making me startle. I turned around quickly, as a reflex action, making the long earrings jumble, hurting my ears. My head was already paining from all the noise, the smell of Mehandi, and the tight bun of hair.

"Huh?"

"Do you need anything?" he asked again. My mouth worked up for a reply but before I could speak anything, I started coughing because of a dry throat.

"Are you okay?" Vansh moved beside me and patted my back, trying to help me. I nodded as the coughing stopped but I noticed Shreya coming in our direction.

"This is what happens when you do not drink water" she taunted earning a death stare. But it had no effect on her. Instead, she passed me a sly smile.