Chapter 1

Thunder roared in the sky as our beat up car made its way down a road with few houses before my dad stopped in front of a grey two story house. The movers stopped right behind us. My dad parked the car before unbuckling his seat belt and getting out the car. I followed right behind him, glancing at my sister who was asleep next to me. My mother slept in the passenger seat. I walked towards the mover van to help take boxes into the house. 

    As I made my way to where my father was I looked down the street and saw a boy walking his dog with another boy with copper hair, the boy caught me looking at him and he waved towards me. His friend looked to where I was and also waved to me.  I gave a short wave and continued to walk to my father who gave me two boxes with my name written on them.

      "Go take those to your room, it's the small one next to the bathroom upstairs. After that go wake up your mother and sister." He turned away from me and went back to talk to the movers. I went to the house slowly walking up the steps taking every thing in. I went into my room seeing my bed frame and mattress in my room along with my dresser and small book shelf.  I placed the boxes down and began to stretch. I let out a yawn and began walking down the stairs. 

     My dad walked in the house completely ignoring me and went into a room and shut the door behind him. I walked outside and towards the car. I looked to the neighbors house where I saw the boys, but they were already gone. I sighed knowing it was probably for the best, knowing my mother would loose her mind if she even saw me looking at boys. I went to the passenger door and slowly opened it. 

     "Mother? We're finally home." I gently shook her. She opened her eyes and looked at me.

    "What? Did you finish unpacking everything Sang?" She sat up straight and looked around.

    "Not yet. Dad wanted me to wake you. Your room should be ready if you want to rest in there." She groaned and looked over at Marie. 

     "Marie!" She yelled Marie jumped and she looked at us with wide eyes. "Were home. Get out and go put your room in order, unless you want Sang to do it." Marie looked towards the house.

     "I can do it myself." She opened the car door before giving me a dirty look and leaving. 

     "Get out of my way." My mother got out of the elbowing me in the arm before she slowly made it into the house. I sighed and followed right behind her. "I want everything to be put away and then go to your room. I don't want to see you for the rest of the day." Her dark eyes narrowed at me, "Do you understand?"

     "Yes mother." I looked down and I heard her huff before turning away and walking into the same room as my father was in. 

      I went into the kitchen and began to put the glasses and dishes away in their own places. As I began putting the pots and pans away my father came out of his room. His eyes met mine.

     "I'm going to work, I'll be back later."

     "Your working so soon?" I asked crossing my arms. "We just moved in." He ignored me and kept walking towards the front door.

     "Keep an eye out for your sister and mother." And that was it, he was gone. Not even a goodbye. 

     After I was done with the kitchen I decided to reheat some canned chowder. I put some in a bowl and placed it on a plate with some crackers and took it to my mothers room.  I knocked and slowly went in the room was dark except for the T.V. playing the local news I walked closer to her bed and she was passed out breathing slowly. Pill bottles littered the bed side table. I placed the bowl down and slowly walked away not wanting her to see me.

     I ate quickly and washed my bowl. I decided to make a bowl for Marie knowing she was probably hungry. I grabbed a bottle of water and went to Marie's door. I knocked, but got no answer. 

     "Marie I made you a bowl of soup it's on the kitchen counter if you want it." I waited, but still got no reply from her. I decided to go to my room. As I unpacked I found my special box. It was a simple shoe box, but it had some items I collected over the years. My diary, a four leaf clover, some pretty rocks I found when I went on walks, a small snow globe with a bunny in it.  And last in the box was an old family photo of all four of us when I was six and Marie was about seven. This was the last picture of us before my mother got sick and paranoid. We were all smiling and happy. Everything has changed. I put everything back and put my shoe box deep under my bed. I went to put my clothes away in the closet when I saw a small door next to my bed.

     I placed my clothes on the bed and I walked to the door I crouched down and slowly opened the door. I looked around and crawled in. It was a small attic space with some wooden beams.    Maybe if I find some old Christmas lights I can make this into my own hiding spot. I smiled at the thought. I crawled out backwards and stood up. I dusted myself off. I went back to putting everything away and I took a step back and admired my room. 

     Things are gonna be better here! I take the clip out from my hair and laid in bed before drifting off to sleep with the lights still on.

(1026 words.)