Chapter 4

We drove out of the neighborhood and onto a main road and I let out a sigh of relief. I was half expecting my mother to run out of the house and drag me back by my hair. I leaned back in the chair trying to relax myself when Corey grabbed my left hand and pointed at the bandage around my wrist.

        "What happened Sang?" He asked loudly, Brandon turned around and looked at my wrist.

        "Did you hurt yourself?"He asked leaning in looking at my arm. Brandon's eyes met mine and I looked up to see Kota's eyes watching me in the rear view mirror.  He looked back at the road.

       "Well last night I was going for a walk and Max jumped me, don't worry though I'm fine!" I tried to give them a reassuring smile. Victor turned to Kota.

       "I still can't believe Max would do that." Victor shook his head.

      "Me either." Kota said in a whisper. 

      "That," Began Brandon pointing at my arm. "Is why I prefer cats." He leaned back in the seat. Corey however kept quiet,but had his arm wrapped around mine. My heart thumped against my chest, I breathed in and smelled something minty. Was it the twins? Peppermints?   

      "What about peppermints?" Brandon turned to me giving me a curios look.  I started to panic. 

     "Oh, I j- just want some candy." I nervously smiled at Brandon he put a hand on his cheek and rested against the window.

     "Oh?"  Was all he said, did he know I was talking about them? Brandon looked at me and gave me a smug smile. He knew! 

      "I love peppermints!" Corey said as Kota pulled into a diner. I didn't realize we were in the city.  Was I that lost in thought? He parked the car and turned off the car. We all got out and I started to fix my hair, wishing I took a minute to brush it. I groaned internally, the guys all looked amazing and I looked like blah,like usual. A waitress escorted us to a big booth and handed us menus. I realized I had no money, I placed my menu down deciding I was just going to have a glass of water.

     "Whats wrong Sang?" Its like Kota knew something was up.

     "I forgot my money." As if I had any to begin with. 

     "Its fine Sang, its my turn to pay." Corey looked up from the menu. "Order what you want! I recommend the strawberry pancakes, you should try it."  I looked back at the menu and at Corey.

       "Yeah, I'll get that." He beamed at that, the waitress came by and got our orders and collected our menus and walked off. 

      "So Sang," Victor leaned back. "what grade are you in?"

     "Oh, I'll be a sophomore when school starts." I said playing with the straw in my milk. "What about you guys?"

     "Same here we're all going to be sophomores, hey are you going to go to Ashley Waters?" Victor took a sip from his coffee. 

      "Yeah," I nodded. My mother always wanted to home school us, but if she did the government would look into things which bothered my dad and he shut down the idea. 

      "That's great!" Corey perked up. "Maybe we'll have classes together." I smiled at him. I would love to have classes with these boys.

      "Did you choose what classes you wanted?" Kota asked.  I shook my head.

     "I haven't really thought about it." I wondered if I should do that as soon as I could or maybe I should ask Kota what classes I should pick.

     "Well you've got time," Brandon said. "Schools won't start up for another what? Month more or less." He has a point, I'll deal with it when the time comes. The waitress came back with our food. We began eating mostly in silence. Corey had ordered the same thing and boy, he was right, these pancakes are delicious. I felt my mouth water just looking at the strawberry pancakes. Kota was eating some scrambled eggs and bacon, victor was eating the fluffiest waffles I've ever seen and Brandon was eating a burger.  

       "Hey Sang?" I looked up to see Victor smiling at me. "You're coming to the mall with us right?" I quickly took a bite a bite of my pancakes to give me some time to think. Could I? 

      "Um..." I look at Kota for answers. He looked at me and shrugged. It was up to me.

     "You can come with us Sang, or we can drive you back home, whatever you wanna do." He went back to eating his eggs. I put a finger on my bottom lip. I mean, I already checked in on my mother, so it should be okay.  I thought about at my dad at work and Marie was God knows where. I nodded.

      "Sure I'd like to go to the mall." Victors smile grew.

      "Great! But before we go we have to pick up Silas, he-" Victor was cut off by Corey.

      "Which ones Silas?" His mouth was filled with food. Victor and Kota looked at each other, as if they were communicating. 

       "The Greek." Brandon said. Me and Corey looked at  Brandon. Weren't they all friends? Wouldn't Corey know who Silas is? "You know," He continued. "Hes the big one with black hair." I looked over at Victor and Kota who were watching the two brothers.

       "The one with the motorcycle?" Victor looked frustrated and Kota put a palm over his face. I put a hand over my mouth so the boys wouldn't see me grinning. Corey had a small smile, was he doing this on purpose? 

      "Nah," Brandon had the tiniest hint of a smile Victor and Kota didn't notice. "That one is East."

      "North." Kota muttered. 

      "Whatever," Brandon chopped the air. "He's the one with accent." 

      "Oh! That one." Corey smiled and took a sip of his milk. Yup I definitely would love to have classes with these guys. 

       After finishing our breakfast Corey paid and gave a big tip for the waitress. We were leaving the Diner when I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turn to see Brandon holding something in his hand. 

     "Here." He dropped a small peppermint in the palm of my hand. I blushed as I met his gaze," Since you like mints so much." I struggled to find words.

    "Oh, and you didn't give me one?" Corey asked in a whiny voice as he made his way to the door opening it for me. I slid in.  Brandon turned to his brother. 

    "I'll remember that Corey." Corey slid in next into me and nudged me.

     "Help Sang! Brandon's bulling me!" Corey laughed and Brandon hit him gently over his head. I couldn't help but smile were all siblings like this? I don't remember the last time me and Marie had a moment of friendship. I got a little sad, but shook it off.

     Victor got in the drivers seat this time and Kota sat back in the passenger seat. He started the car and slolwy put the car in reverse and left the diner. As we drove past the stores I couldn't help, but stare at the window. I haven't been on a drive in forever it all felt so new. 

     "My God," Victor began. "Sang you're so cute. You look just like a puppy, your nose is smudging the window." I heard him chuckle and Corey laughed. I blushed and gently kicked the front seat. Victor gave me a smirk through the rear view mirror. Kota turned to look at me.

    "Sang this is your first time sightseeing the city right?" Kota asked, I nodded. "That's great, we should do this again." He turned back around. Was he taking about just the two of us or all of us? It didn't take long before Victor pulled into a row of parked cars in front a big complex.

     "Lets go get Silas." We walked into the complex, up the stairs to the second floor. Victor grabbed my hand and placed me in front of Silas's door. "Stay here." He whispered pointing in front of the door. I stayed. Victor rang the bell before he quickly grabbed Kota, Corey, and Brandon and stood against the wall away from sight.  I saw the door knob beginning to turn, I gulped.