Chapter 34

Victor, Corey, North and I were the last ones to leave the classroom. As we left there was a loud crowd of students all trying to get into the main building.

      "It's only our first day here and I'm already tired of this shit." North grumbled. 

      "Yeah it's a little crowded, but maybe the rest of the day won't be that bad." Corey said in hopes of keeping it positive. 

      "Corey's right, maybe it'll be better. Like being out here with the sunshine is nice." I said and saw Corey smile at me. Victor looked up at the sky.

      "For now maybe, but what about when it rains?" He asks.

      "Try an umbrella?" Corey says tilting his head at Victor. "You can afford it right?" I hear North snort behind us. Victor rolled his eyes.

      "Or when it's absolutely freezing." Victor says. I smirked at that, I was from Illinois. Freezing is just a part of daily life.

      When we finally got into the cafeteria, the place was crowded. Students waited in long lines for their lunch, the tables were all filled, some students sat and ate against the walls. 

      "I don't see any of the others." I say scanning the cafeteria. 

       "Over there!" Corey said pointing to a window. I could see some of their heads, they were at the outdoor courtyard. We made our way outside and I felt a sense of relief seeing all of them. They sat and stood around a wooden bench that was piled up with their bags. 

       "Did you guys see those lines?" North said walking over to them.

       Marc shook his head as he sat down. "Yeah man, how do they feed everyone?" 

       "Ugh I'm starving!" Gabe sat as he laid on his back, the dead grass crunching underneath him. "I'm gonna die." 

        "Didn't you eat a big breakfast?" Silas asked.

        "Silas," Gabe started. "That was hours ago." Gabe looked up to Kota. "Please for the love of God tell me there's an open campus policy, please." Kota shook his head and Gabe groaned. 

       "Sorry, but we're all stuck here." Kota said.

       "Don't be so dramatic." North said as poked Gabe with his foot. "We only have three classes left." 

       "That's three classes to many." Luke said as he ripped some of the grass from the ground. I look back into the building.

       "You know there's some vending machines inside. We can go together if you want."  Gabe smiled and nodded.

       "Sure okay." He began to get up and I took my bag off and handed it to Brandon who put it with the other bags. 

       "Can you get me some crackers?" North asked. He reached into his pocket and pulled out some money. 

        "And can you guys get me a candy bar?" Luke asked.

       "Do you have money to give her?" North asked Luke. Luke just smiled.

       "You just did." North rolled his dark eyes. As we began to leave Brandon, Corey, and Marc began to take brown paper bags out of their bags.

       "Wait, you guys food and didn't share with me?" Gabe asked narrowing his eyes at the three boys. Marc ate a baby carrot.

       "You never asked."  Marc said, Gabe rolled his eyes.

        "Let's go Sang." Gabe said as he gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me along behind him. As we walked closer to the building I couldn't help, but beam a little. After everything the boys have done, it feels so good to do something for them. Even if it's something as simple as going to the vending machine for them.