Chapter 18

I turn around and see a tall man, not as tall Silas, but he was close. He had wide shoulders. A gold circle earring on his left lobe. His eyes were dark, his eyebrows were thick, and his jaw broad. He had tan skin and his face was getting coarse from not shaving. When I met Silas I thought he was scary, but this man terrified me. 

    He walked towards me. "Did you not hear me? Who are you?" His voice was deep and cold. 

    I gulped. "Sang." I squeaked. His dark eyes softened.

    "How did you even get in?" He eyed me up and down.

    "Luke let me in." I replied. His lips went into a thin line as he stared at me. I regretted not going with Luke. The lights above us slowly flickered on. 

    "Sorry if I scared you, I'm North." He was wearing black jeans with boots and a plain black shirt. 

    "So you're Luke's brother?" I couldn't help but be surprised, North and Luke looked nothing alike. 

    "Technically he's my step brother." He simply said. That explains it, I thought. 

     "Oh okay, I didn't know..." I felt so nervous being with North, I prayed that Luke would show up. "Luke, he told me all about his ideas about the diner." 

    North shook his head. "His ideas are unrealistic." He walked towards an old oven covered with dust, he opened it. "This place is a mess." 

    "Yeah, but once its finished..." He let go of the oven door and it shut with a loud bang which caused me to leap back. 

    "Most restaurants fail in a year, so I'm not sure this is all worth it." His face seemed so serious I had no idea how to respond to him.

    "I guess it just depends just how good your uncle's food is." He blinked at me.

    "His cooking is the best."North said and  I shrug.

   "Then you shouldn't worry so much. If its as good as you say it is people will come back for more." 

    He stared down at me when a body popped up behind him. 

   "North?" I recognized that voice as Brandon's. "Whats wrong?" North stepped out of the way and Brandon blinked at me. 

    "Sang?" He was clearly confused.

    "Hey you guys found each other!" Luke's voice came from behind me. I turn to see him walking in a big smile on his face. "How'd you know we'd be here?" North let out an annoyed sigh.

   "Imagine our surprise," North said as he gestured to himself and Brandon. "When we were working on my jeep I get a notification that there was a "break in" at  the old church."

     Luke cringed. "I forgot about the silent alarm, sorry North."

    Brandon smiled at me. "Looks like we caught the thief." I smiled back having Luke and Brandon back in the room with me made me feel at ease. 

    The phone in my bra buzzed and I quickly turned away so the boys wouldn't see me take out my phone. "It's Kota." I tell them.

    "What did he say?" Luke asked. I turn to face the boys. 

    "He was wondering if I could come over." 

    "We should go," Brandon said to North. "The jeep can wait." 

    "Yeah, besides we can't do much here besides cleaning the place up." Luke said.

    "We have to tear down walls before we spend to much time cleaning." North told Luke.