Chapter 29

I stepped up the front porch and noticed Buddy was no where in sight, Marie probably scared him off. Marie opened the door and I shut it gently as I stepped in. The moment I did I heard my Mother scream for me.

    "Sang!!" She screamed I could almost feel the house shake. Marie didn't even look back when she ran up the stairs. Just by the tone of her voice I knew she knew everything.

    "Coming mother!"  I rushed towards her room knowing that if I took to long whatever punishment she had for me would be a lot worse.  I stuck my head into my parents bedroom to see my mother sitting up. The room was completely  pitch black except for the t.v. illuminating her crooked figure. "Were you calling  me mother?" I asked in a small voice as I slowly got closer to her. 

"Where have you been this morning?" She hissed.

"I was here." I mumble out.

"Liar!" She screamed, I felt myself flinch. "You've been gone for hours!"

"No!" I begin to defend myself. "I was playing out in the woods!" I could feel my mothers eyes stare me down.

"Your poor sister had to go to a mans house, a mans house!" She yelled. "How dare you go to his house!?"

"Mother please!" I could feel my knees weaken. "I didn't go for any man! Th-there was a girl!" I lie, I never met Jessica, but I pray that if my mother asked if she knew me she'd play along.

"What girl?"

"Her name is Jessica," I continue to lie. "She was over there and-and we were talking about school."

 "I don't care!" My mother sat up straighter. "There was men at that house!"

 "I wasn't talking to them!" How did she knew there were multiple men? Was she watching through the front window?

  "You stupid girl! They were still there weren't they!? You knew they were there!" She began to stand up.

  "Mother please, you might fall." I tell her as I took a small step back.

  "You could have been raped!" She got closer to me.

   "Mother, you think every man is a rapist!" She shook her head and pointed to the t.v. that was quietly playing the news. 

     "It happens all the time! Every day someone is raped or killed by a man!" She pointed a finger towards me. "I did my best to raise you and you go around looking like a tramp, you're just asking for it aren't you?" I shook my head, I felt my throat get dry. She clenched her fists. "I told you Sang- over and over again not to go over and talk to strangers I don't know!"

    "How can you meet anyone if you never go anywhere!" I fired back. My hand flew to my mouth, the words slipped out of my mouth and I regret saying it. My mother struck me across the cheek. I never saw it coming. I stumble backwards and fell onto my butt. 

     "You are forbidden to leave this house, I don't care if this house is burning to the ground!" I put a hand to the cheek she struck. "You should be lucky those pigs didn't kidnap you, I've seen those boys walk by the house! First men will befriend you, then the next thing you know you're locked in their closet screaming for help, all men are pigs Sang!" I felt myself shake as I look up at her, terrified. 

     "What- what do I have to do mother?" Tears ran down my cheeks, I didn't want this, I didn't understand this. I couldn't stand to hear her talk like that to the only people who have ever shown me kindness. "We're not allowed to do anything! We can't go anywhere! There are good people out there you just haven't met them." I got to my knees and I slowly got up.