Chapter 59

I was dreaming of being lost in an endless green valley. It was so quiet yet scary. No mater how far I walked I got nowhere, it was endless. All I could do was to wait for help. For someone to come find me.

        "Sang," A voice called to me. "Wake up." I opened my eyes. I didn't hear my alarm go off, was I late for school!? 

         I sat up straight and saw my father standing at my doorway wearing a white collared shirt, dark pants and a suit coat. "Father? What's wrong? Is everything okay?"

         "I'm going on a business trip," He told me. "I'll be gone for a couple of days. I need you to take care of your mother and sister. You know how it is." 

         I nodded. I've had to take care of both my mother and sister ever since I was around nine or so. That was the time my mother got sick, she wasn't ever the same since. She became more paranoid with all the drugs she took. Watching the news didn't help either. She told us that men would rape or kill us if given the chance. Until that point our childhoods were pretty okay and average. But as we got older she isolated us. If we weren't where we were supposed to be we'd get severely punished. The older we got the worse it got.

        "Where are you going?" I asked him. It was Friday. I had a secret Academy thing with the boys during school hours. The boys said it wouldn't take long, I really hope it doesn't I don't want to get caught or get in trouble. 

        "Mexico," He said. "Don't forget to tell your sister." I didn't know why he told me and not her. She's older, although it made sense. I'm basically the only other adult in the house. It was weird though, he never tells me when he's leaving. He just goes and comes back like he never left. Not like it mattered, he was always working. Why would he begin to tell me now?

         With that, he was gone from my doorway. A few moments later I could hear his car starting and then his car leaving the driveway. I frowned a bit sad, he didn't even say goodbye. 

         I got dressed for school in a shirt and shorts, keeping it simple. When I was finished I quietly went downstairs. I grabbed some crackers, a yogurt cup and a spoon, with a bottle of water as well. Going to my mothers room I slowly opened the door.

         My mother was slumped over, snoring into her pillow. Her greasy graying hair was pulled back into a messy bun. She looked so peaceful. If I didn't l know her I'd say she looked normal.

        Not wanting to wake her I put the food on her bedside table, hoping she'd eat it once she woke up. Something under her bed caught my eye. I looked at my mother once again as I got to my knees and reached under the bed. 

        It was a old worn out folder. Opening up I see paperwork and notes that spilled out. But was truly caught my eye was a old photo. Pulling it out I study it. It took me a while to figure it out it was my mother when she was younger, much younger. Around my age. She looked so different. She used to be so gorgeous, why would she want to hide this picture?

        I didn't want to snoop more than I already have, so I closed the folder and returned it back underneath her bed, but I kept the picture. If she didn't want it, I would love to keep it. These happy pictures gave me nostalgia from before she got sick.

        I went back upstairs to finish getting ready. As I did I pulled out my shoe box filled with my other things. I looked one more time at the photo. She really does look like me, she used to be so happy with her life.

        Later that day, in the afternoon I was flat on my back in a light thin blue hospital gown as I waited for the MRI machine to start. I frowned as I waited, I told the boys I was fine, that I didn't need to go to the hospital and I didn't want my parents to find out I was even here. But they did more then insisted, they were about to drag me here.