Unhappy Anniversary

It was a hot morning at Chopper's Base, Roxy woke slowly, her long brown hair splayed around her face, as she sat up, her spine and leg bones popped and cracked. Though she was only in her late thirties, Roxy often felt older than she was, by clone standards she was only in her mid to late twenties, due to the slowed aging.  She sat on the edge of her bed, absentmindedly picking at a loose thread on her thin pajama pants. 

She glanced at the calendar on her wall, she squinted to read the date, and grimaced when she realized what day it was. It was the 16 year anniversary of order 66, the day Roxy saw many of her brothers fall, was forced to walk away from her family, the day she had lost everything.

She closed her eyes, and sighed. She knew they didn't have any mission to go on today, so she just dressed in some plain pants, and a tank-top, she tied her boots and went to her bathroom, brushing her teeth and feeling like she was in a daze. She hadn't thought about order 66 in years, it was something she and the other clones that were left just pushed to the backs of their minds, it was easier that way. 

Roxy finally walked out her door, and was ready to get some work done, anything to keep her mind off everything. She watched all the rebels bustling around, to and fro, getting work done already. Roxy had slept in later than usual, or had she just stared at the calendar for longer than she thought? 

Ezra walked over to her, "Hey, Kanan needs you for a meeting, everyone's waiting." He stated, "Yeah, I'll be there in a minute." She answered, looking around for Benjamin, she spotted him over by a ship, covered in grease, trying to fix it. 

As if he felt her gaze, he looked over, and smiled. When she didn't smile back, he took the rag from his pocket, wiping his hands free as he approached her. "Hey, what's wrong, doll?" He asked, "Nothing, we have to get to a meeting, Kanan is probably getting impatient." She replied and began walking away. 

Benjamin knew something was wrong, she wasn't acting like herself, she seemed down and upset. Had someone said something to her? Was it a nightmare? Had he done something wrong? The thoughts assaulted his mind like gunfire. He followed along, noting that she wasn't walking as straight as she usually did, she was more slouched than usual, she looked tired.

They reached the briefing room, Kanan had started without them, Roxy noticed Rex was absent, she understood why, everyone else eyed her with suspicion when she entered. "Well, you finally decided to join us, I told you about this yesterday, you know." Kanan said in a tone Roxy didn't like, but she found herself unable to reply in her usual spitfire way. She sighed and sat down, crossing her arms over her chest, she rose an eyebrow at Kanan. 

He just rolled his eyes, Roxy glared at him when he turned back to the holo-screen and began explaining the next mission with Hera, Roxy paid attention yes, but she also wondered why Kanan wasn't showing any signs of being upset about today, perhaps he had put it behind him, or he was just good at hiding his emotions. Roxy was used to hiding her emotions too, but today she just felt tired and weary. 

Usually Kanan and Roxy would be arguing about something by this time, they rarely saw eye to eye on anything, but she couldn't bring herself to tell him his plan was dumb and that it wasn't the way they would have done it back in the day. 

After the meeting was over and orders were given for the mission later in the week, Roxy stood and placed a hand on her sore back, "You know, I think if you hadn't have been late then I would have thought you were finally coming around, Roxy." Said Kanan, "Not today, Kanan. Don't start." She seethed and met his eyes with her own dark ones. "What's your problem?" He asked, Roxy took a deep breath, Benjamin watched her from the doorway, and he could feel her discomfort and anger. 

She had had a few nasty spats with Kanan that almost ended in bloodshed, she had punched him once when he insulted Benjamin, she had a temper and everyone knew it, but Ben had been helping her with it, she took another deep breath and began walking away. "hey, I'm talking to you." yells Kanan. "Look, I don't have the energy or time to waste on you, so piss off, Ponytail." Roxy replied sternly, Ponytail was something she started mocking him with.

He looked taken back, but he decided to leave it alone. She walked out with Benjamin at her heels, "hey, are you okay?" he asked, grabbing her hand and turning her around. He could see the tears forming in her eyes, he placed his hands on her arms, and ducked a little to see directly into her eyes, she opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. 

She shook her head and walked away, Ben had really started to worry now, what had her so upset? He walked to Rex's quarters, knowing he may have the answers, he knocked on the door and Rex answered. 

Rex looked tired like Roxy too, but not as bad, "Roxy is really upset and as her friend, I want to make her feel better but she won't talk to me, do you know what's wrong with her?" He asked, not saying anything about his and Roxy's relationship. Rex sighed, "Alright, listen, this is a hard day for her, 16 years ago today, was order 66, she had to walk away from her family, the GAR and she and I saw our brothers die and were betrayed, so just give her some space and let her know you're here for her." He explained, Benjamin nodded and took off to find her.

He went to her quarters and saw Kanan knocking on the door, "dammit Roxy we need you on the bay for fixing ships, come on!" He shouted, "Hey!' Benjamin yelled, "Get the fuck out of here, and leave her alone." He said, standing straighter and towering over Kanan by a good half a foot.

Kanan glared at him and walked away, once he was out of earshot, and Benjamin was satisfied no one was around, he knocked softly on the door and said "Darlin' let me in, please? Rex told me what's got you down and I want to help...". 

The door opened and revealed a puffy eyed Roxy, Benjamin gave her a sad smile and walked into her room, and wrapped his arms around her. "I hadn't thought about it in so long, and I know I have Rex and Ahsoka back, but I lost so many other brothers that day, all of them pretty much, and I feel like I'm getting old, I feel so tired and weary, I feel...broken." 

Ben tightened the hug, and Roxy burrowed her face further into the crook of his neck. "Hey, it's okay, I know it's hard, but you have us now, and we're not going anywhere, me, Rex, Ahsoka, we're gonna be here for you, always, and even if you are getting older, who cares?" He said, pulling away and placing his warm hands on her exposed shoulders. "I Think you're beautiful, even if you were grey I wouldn't care, hell if you turned into a pink fluffy monster I wouldn't care." He said, Roxy smiled a bit, she had felt self conscious about her age lately.

She realized he was right and that while it was okay to mourn all her lost brothers, she still had so much, if not more. She had her brother who saved her in more ways than one, her best friend who had helped her realize that her scars weren't ugly, and the man that she loved, and he loved her back just as much, if not more. She sighed and smiled at him, "Thank you.." She whispered and hugged him again.

"You smell like grease and sweat" She mumbled into his neck, "And I saw you trying to fix that ship earlier, you suck." She chuckled dryly, Benjamin smiled and kissed her temple, "Well, you'll just have to give me some lessons, then, won't you?" he asked and laughed. 

It was still a day she hated, but Roxy felt better about it now. And while she was beginning to show her true age, she felt ok about it, Benny would love her no matter what she looked like, and she felt the same way about him.

"I love you."

"I love you too, doll."

~The End

****************************************************

A/N: Back on my bullshit again, I know i was gone for some time and I;m sorry, but I'll try to update more! I have plans for more Roxy and Benjamin oneshots, so prepare yourselves! :) ~Emily.....