Chapter XXXVIII

For All Have Sinned: Secret Agent x BTS AU

Part: 38/?

Pairing: Min Yoongi x reader

Genre: Secret Agent, mystery, murder, high school, Min Yoonji, cross-dressing, romance, comedy, smut

Word count: 1.4 k

Summary: You're once again assigned and shipped off with your partner to uncover the truth about the death of three high school females at a boarding school. You're determined to stop the serial killer. However, it becomes a bit difficult when you have to prevent your boyfriend from being so damn horny all of the time. Your boyfriend, who is forced to dress like a high school female student at age 24, you must add. It may seem amusing at first, but the case becomes even more difficult as students continue to get killed right beneath your nose.

*

*

*

Hoseok shudders as he looks away, his face scrunching up. "Man, this is creepy. In a church for god's sake, it's supposed to be a holy place. I'm telling you, this killer is sick. You all noticed the stuffed animal they left with her right? What kind of sick person would leave such an innocent-looking child's toy with a dead body they killed? I swear, I'm not going to be able to look at a stuffed animal the same way ever again," the red-haired man whined as he leaned against Yoongi for support. Yoongi's response is to grunt, the sound gruff.

While Yoongi looks annoyed with the extra weight on him, he doesn't push the younger male away. Seeing this, Hoseok grins as he hugs Yoongi, a small happy laugh escaping his lips. A mischievous look spreads in his orbs as he looked at Yoongi, finally seeming to take a better look at your partner.

"Taehyung and Jungkook weren't lying when they said you looked like a cute schoolgirl, hyung. I'm surprised at how well you're able to pull it off," Hoseok chirped in a teasing tone, seeming to not notice how Yoongi's eyes glinted dangerously, his jaws clenching.

It didn't help that Seokjin also broke into laughter, his laugh a high pitched squeak making a smile grow on your face. Yoongi eventually threw Hoseok's arms off his shoulder with a grunt, his eyes narrowed on Hoseok dangerously. Finally seeing Yoongi's anger, Hoseok meeped, taking a step back from the crossed dressed male with his hands up in surrender, a nervous smile spreading across his handsome face.

"Don't make there be two dead bodies in the church, Hobi. I won't hesitate to do it, and Jin-hyung wouldn't even be able to do an autopsy on you because I'll beat you up to pulp till there's nothing left," Yoongi promised darkly, raising his curled fist up to his face.

When Hoseok nodded at him in fear, Yoongi's gaze moved back to the corpse in distaste, his nose scrunching up as he made a face.  A small click left his mouth as he stared down at it. "She looks like one of those damn bullfrogs we had to catch and cut open the other day for the lab," the man nonchalantly comments.

You gasp, striking his arms as hard as you could with your fist, your knuckles cracking at the impact. Yoongi releasing a yelp as he jumped away from you with a scowl, rubbing where you had hit him. "Ow! What the hell, Y/N!" He snapped, wincing as he looked at where your punch connected to him in concern.

"Don't disrespect the dead, you idiot! Have some sympathy for her!" You growl, sending him a warning glare that quickly makes Yoongi shut up, his lips shaping into a pout as he continued to rub his arm as if that was going to help get rid of the pain. Although you admit you never liked Hani, you didn't have the heart to disrespect her when she's dead in front of you. Mainly because you weren't able to prevent it....

"How dare you compare her to a damn frog, Yoongi! She..." You trail off, your eyes suddenly widening as something clicked in your mind. It was as if the creaking gears became oiled and the switch was flicked on, the machine in your head whirling to life. Frogs.... Dissection... Embalming them....

"Formalin...." You whisper under your breath, almost laughing because you realized how stupid you all were. "It's formalin! Jin-Oppa! Formalin solution! These girls, I swear, I swear it's a formalin solution!"

The three men looked taken back at your outburst, confusion in their eyes as you wave your arms, trying to explain what you discovered. However, it seemed like your mind was working quicker than your mouth, you not being able to form proper words.

"You need to recheck all the bodies and see if there's formalin in them! The embalming fluid used! It could be formalin!"

Seokjin finally seemed to understand what you were saying, his eyes going round in disbelief as he smacked his forehead with his palm. "Formalin is classified as a deadly poison that's even designated as a hazardous substance. If formalin ever ends up in the body, all organs will develop acidosis and go into a state of paralysis, and it will eventually lead to death. If it's a weak concentration of formalin through an IV in a vein in the scalp, the mark would be harder to find, and I could totally overlook it." Jin mutters in awe, his eyes moving to you as he gripped your shoulder, shaking you, "Y/N! You're a genius! It was right in front of me, but I had overlooked it because it seemed too obvious. I can't believe it, what kind of fucking forensic pathologist am I?"

"I-"

"It makes absolutely sense! When extracting context of the stomach for the first victim.... The smell was putrid, powerful. Too strong. It was abnormally rotten. We did a bacteriological analysis and found that there was  C. botulinum bacterium multiplying. They're the strongest bacteria that cause food poisoning, and they are anaerobic.... I first thought the killer might have been sadistic and forced her to eat something rotten but if the corpse was left out for a while.... The body would be fine because of formalin but the stomach...." Seokjin began to babble, cutting you off as he began to mutter to himself.

Hoseok looked utterly lost, his eyebrows furrowed as he approached the older man, "what do you mean? I was able to keep up with the whole formalin part, but why was the stomach spoiling? I thought the formalin was—"

"IF she was forced to drink the formalin, her stomach content wouldn't have rotted. But she was only injected by the poison... And the bacteria in her stomach is capable of growing even if the body is dead because it is anaerobic, it was a perfect place for it to breed... That's the proof that she was killed a while ago...! The first analysis done was wrong! It makes sense because she was found the first day of school after summer break...." Seokjin grinned, beaming brightly as all his frustration for this mystery becomes uncovered.

You nod in understanding, realizing what Seokjin was trying to say. You also can't help but grin, hope beginning to emerge in your eyes. You were another step closer to finding who the murderer is. While formalin was common in Seokjin's workplace, not everyone could get a hold of it. So that meant you were beginning to be able to squeeze down the number of suspects.

Seokjin groaned as he rubbed his face with his hand, "in normal toxicology testing, formalin evaporate due to its volatility. In pathology tests, internal organs are preserved in formalin itself, so we didn't notice it when we sent them for lab work. It's a perfect blind spot....." Seokjin speaks, mortified by the mistake he and his team made. "It also makes sense with the fluid buildup in Im Nayeon's lungs. Fluid build-up is a symptom of poisoning, I can't believe I didn't realize this earlier!" The forensic pathologist seemed genuinely upset, his eyebrows furrowed while his puffy lips stretched into a straight line.

Yoongi grunts as he sits back down, nodding to himself as he collected his thoughts. "We shouldn't get our hopes up yet until we confirm it at the lab," the dark-haired male comments as he looks at the three of you. But he broke into a smile, "but it's a step forward," Yoongi states, his eyes meeting yours, making you send him your own smile.

However, your smile disappears from your face as the door of the church slams open, a man you recognized as one of the guys from Seokjin's team frantically stepping in with his face red.

You hold your breath as the words leave the panicked man's mouth.

"Dr. Kim! Another body has been found,  you are needed as soon as possible!"