06

AN UNLIKELY TEAM

PART 1

----------

----------

EVEN THOUGH ANDY DIDN'T KNOW WILL BYERS, SHE FELT HIS DEATH DEEPLY.

When her dad told her the young boy's body was pulled from the quarry, she felt sick to her stomach.

To make matters worse Barbara had officially been reported missing.

At the funeral for Will, Andy scanned the grief-stricken faces of the boy's family. It made the same horrible feeling in the back of her throat rise again. Poor innocent Will, who had his life ripped away from him far too early.

"It would be easy to turn away from God, but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from his love."

Andy didn't like funerals, and with every verse and line the pastor praised she felt herself becoming increasingly more uncomfortable. It reminded her of Sara's funeral. That feeling that you'd never be happy again. Andy didn't believe in God either. Not anymore. If God was so wonderful, then why did he take away her perfect little sister?

She reached towards the jewellery at her neck, something she did whenever she felt alone and upset. It was a delicate chain with a small 's' at its base. Andy touched it whenever she missed Sara. That was a lot recently.

The sound of chuckling drew Andy away from her thoughts and to the three middle school-aged boys opposite her. The one she knew as Dustin whispered something to the other two with a grin on his face. At his words, they all laughed.

That was strange Andy thought to herself. They were at the funeral of their best friend but they were managing to laugh. She furrowed her brows at them but went on listening to the rest of the service wishing she was somewhere else.

That night Andy didn't hear her dad come home. That was normal. She'd wake up the next morning and he'd be there either awake, in bed or crashed out on the sofa. He'd finally been taking his role as Chief of Police seriously, but it was getting to him. Even though the circumstances were massively different she knew Will's death reminded him of Sara's.

What wasn't normal was when she left her bedroom the following morning the rest of the trailer was in disarray. Furniture lay cluttered and broken on the floor, light bulbs were smashed on the ground and hanging from the ceiling with wires dangling down. The sofas were flipped and torn open.

Seeing her emerge from her room Hopper pushed past his daughter and into her bedroom. In there he began the same barbaric treatment. Smashing everything he could see, throwing clothes and shoes.

"What are you doing!?" Andy cried, but her dad ignored her and stormed back into the living room continuing his search. He was muttering weird words and phrases that Andy could only just about make out. "electricity", "lab", "in the walls". None of it made sense.