08

A LITTLE GIRL

----------

ANDY OPENED THE DOOR TO THE FRIDGE. NOTHING.

She tried the pantry. Again, nothing.

With a loud annoyed groan, she slammed the door shut. She heard her dad come home late last night and leave again early this morning, but clearly, he had not been grocery shopping. Andy felt like she hadn't seen him in days. Like she was living in some other world, where the only thing that existed was weird movie dates with Steve Harrington.

Alternate universe or not, she was hungry. Andy grabbed her purse, shoes, and keys and began the walk to the store nearby. It was times like this she wished she did have a car. Even a shitty one just so she could get to the store quickly and eat.

When she arrived, she didn't expect the commotion that was about to take place.

Andy scanned the supermarket aisles, throwing a variety of fruit and vegetables into her basket. When she arrived in Hawkins she noticed her dad's fridge was filled with ready meals, beer and about nothing else. It was time for a change.

When she rounded the corner to the new aisle her path was blocked by a young girl staring hypnotically into one of the freezers. She was thin, the pink dress that looked like it had come straight off a doll, drowned her. As did the oversized blue jacket she wore over the top. But most notably was her shaved buzzed hair and skin caked with dirt.

"Are you okay?" Andy asked the girl softly, placing a hand on her shoulder. She jumped, her brown eyes widening. Andy removed her hand slowly, as not to spook the girl anymore. "It's alright, I was just seeing if you needed any help."

The young girl looked up at Andy, face wavering in confusion. "Help?" Her voice was incredibly soft. She spoke as if each word was something new and frightening.

"Yeah. Are your mom or dad here?"

Before she could reply a stuffy appearing shop clerk shuffled over to them. "Ma'am, is this girl here your sister?"

Andy didn't have a tendency to lie, or to take strange girls under her protection, but as the young girl peered up at her frightened and eyes begging for her to say something, she did just that. "Yes, she is."

"Well then can I suggest you take her home for a good clean." The clerk eyed the girl up and down with a dirty, judgemental look. Andy glared at him. "Can I suggest you mind your own damn business?"

With that Andy grabbed the hand of the girl and pulled her away from the man. She turned to look at her and uttered "Mouthbreather."