14

GOODBYE

----------

----------

ANDY WAS LIMP IN THE UNCOMFORTABLE GREY CHAIR IN THE HOSPITAL WAITING ROOM. Her head rested against her father's arm. He had covered her up with his blue chief jacket, something finally protecting her from the cold. Her eyes fluttered closed and then open again. She desperately tried to stay awake, but sleep was swiftly creeping up on her.

It had been a hell of a long day.

Surrounding her sat what felt like half of Hawkins. Everyone was desperate to see Will alive and well again. Dustin had his whole unconscious body leaning on Lucas, who was also asleep with his head tilted backward and snoring. Next to them was Mike, staring at the floor. The young boy was not coping. Eleven had gone. Andy had cried when she found out the girl sacrificed herself to save them all. She really was the bravest person Andy had ever met.

Steve Harrington sat on the opposite side of the room to Andy, but he still watched the girl battle her tiredness. It was strange seeing the hostile Chief Jim Hopper snuggled up to his teenage daughter, but it was nice. Steve still had a lot of things he needed to say though and was beginning to worry he'd have to wait a long time to have his chance.

Just as the darkness took over Andy, Jonathan Byers came rushing into the room. "Guys, Will's awake."

Andy stirred awake, lifting her head up off Hopper and taking in what was happening. Mike shook his friends awake, the boys excitedly raced out of the room to go see their best friend. Andy wiped at her eyes and looked opposite her to Steve, who nodded towards the corridor out of the room, indicating for her to leave.

She stood, passing the oversized jacket back to her dad and left, turning right into the next corridor out of sight from everyone else. Steve followed closely behind her and they turned to face each other. They were yet to have a moment alone since everything kicked off and as they gazed at one another every emotion came pouring back.

Andy practically leaped into Steve's arms. Once her body made contact with his, it felt as if everything had finally fallen into place. Steve wrapped his arms tightly around her waist, drawing Andy so close that her feet lifted off the floor. Fingers buried themselves into his tangled hair, her face against his chest.

"I'm so sorry." He sighed, sounding muffled as he spoke, face buried in her messy blonde hair. "I was such an idiot. I'm so so sorry." Steve pulled away, clasping a hand either side of Andy's face, drawing her to look at him. "I'm sorry."

He couldn't say it enough. He would never be able to say it enough to excuse how he acted but Andy had more than forgiven him. Life was too short. The last few days had taught her exactly that. Everyone made mistakes, Andy included. She pressed her lips against his and they embraced gently melting into one another. After what felt like ages but still far too soon they pulled away. Steve's hands stayed cupping Andy's face.