23

HALLOWEEN PARTY

----------

THE MUSIC WAS LOUD, almost painstakingly. It made Andy's skin tingle and lungs feel like mush. Her heart thumped incisively in her chest along with the vibrating floor and pulse of the music. Teenagers covered every inch of the house, dancing, drinking, sucking face. Andy had never seen such an abundance of cheap wigs and costumes in one place before. Toilet roll hung from the ceiling as a lousy decoration and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Well everyone other than Andy.

Steve and Nancy had gone to the dance-floor together. Andy had not gone with them. They looked quite the pair in their couples Risky Business costumes. Andy, however, stood to the side in the kitchen watching everyone else go about their ways. Feeling lonely and wanting to appear busy, she made her way through the beers that Steve had brought with him, but refused to drink since he was the designated driver. She didn't enjoy the taste much, but needed something to distract her.

Next to where she was standing Andy saw a bowl of red coloured punch. It looked much better tasting than the awful beer she had been drinking. She walked over and stood next to a boy she recognised from her English class. He was dressed as a gladiator or angel, Andy couldn't figure out which one since his outfit had become torn and dirty. "What's in this?" She asked.

"Pure fuel! Pure fuel!" He screamed out and then burped. Andy looked at him in disgust before grabbing one of the multiple red solo cups scattered around and scooping up the alcohol. She tipped her head back, downing it one go. The drink burned its way down her throat and she scrunched up her face in discomfort. It was still way better than the beer though.

Turning her attention back to the party, Andy caught the eye of Billy Hargrove. His arm was casually draped around the shoulder of a girl that Andy didn't recognise. On second thoughts she didn't even think she went to Hawkins, but that didn't matter, she was chatting away to Billy, but he wasn't listening, not anymore. His attention was solely fixated on Andy. He dropped his arm from the girl's shoulder like it was nothing and sauntered his way over to Andy in the kitchen.

As he walked he trailed his eyes over her body, making Andy shift under his intense gave. He reached her, the proximity close. Andy could smell the alcohol and cigarettes exploding off of him. When he talked he leaned into her ear, breath fanning across her skin making her tingle. "What's a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this all alone?"

He was wearing jeans and nothing but an undone leather jacket on his chest. "What makes you think I'm here all alone?" Andy snickered, crossing her arms over her chest to create some sort of a barrier between her and Billy, who was smiling brightly, his tongue swiping along his teeth. "Well, I've been watching you for a while now and all you can seem to do is stare at him." His eyes flickered over to Steve who danced happily away with Nancy. Andy's heart sunk as it always did when she saw them together.