28

BAD ADVICE

----------

----------

"THE KEY WITH GIRLS IS JUST ACTING LIKE YOU DON'T CARE."

In that moment, one of the worst pieces of advice to ever have been given in the history of advice-giving, was given. Yet, that didn't stop Steve rambling on as him and Dustin threw chunks of raw meat to the wooden train track floor in order to attract a young Demogorgan their way.

"Even if you do?" Dustin questioned the older boy, looking up at him in confusion. It was not the answer he had expected. Steve nodded with a casual shrug. "Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts."

The gravel crunched underneath their shoes as they walked for what felt like miles. Dustin had confided in his new friend Steve about the feelings he was having for a certain redheaded thirteen-year-old girl, although he hadn't specified who she was. Therefore Steve was giving the boy advice on how to win her over. However the advice was devastatingly bad.

Dustin's mind ticked over the words of wisdom, thinking about how Steve was indeed the heartthrob of Hawkins but had now settled down with a girlfriend. A different girl to the one he witnessed bringing flowers earlier... "Do you like Andy now?" He asked, hurling another piece of meat at the floor.

Steve paused, wondering how much he should tell the younger boy, but then deciding the truth was the way forward. "Yeah, I suppose you could say that."

"How long for?" Dustin asked. He had spent a fair amount of time with Andy, never once hearing her mention Steve, so wondering where the affection could have come from. He also couldn't deny the tiniest spurge of jealousy he felt. He hadn't ever fancied his odds with the older girl, but that didn't stop him from dreaming. However, now Steve the Hair Harrington had his eye on her, he had no chance. 

"About a year." Steve answered surely, making Dustin gawk up at him. "A year!?" He repeated in exclamation. "Dude! What about Nancy?"

"Hey, hey." Steve voiced, calming Dustin from his sudden outburst. "It's complicated, alright? You can't help who you love and sometimes you make mistakes, that's for sure. But with some people there's just this... electricity." 

His face crinkled, hoping Dustin would understand what he was trying to say. He didn't want to have to delve too deep into the gory, intimate details. Alas, the young stud hadn't caught on. "Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere-"

"No, no, no, no, no," Steve cut off. "Like a... sexual electricity." Dustin's lips formed into a perfect circle shape. "Oh."

"You feel that and then you make your move." Steve pointed with his yellow gloved hand. 

"That's when you kiss her?" Dustin questioned. Steve extended his arm in front of Dustin, stopping his movements and thoughts before he got carried away. "Whoa. Slow down, Romeo. Sure, okay, some girls yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy like a," He stuttered, trying to think of the right word, carrying on walking. "like a lion. But others, you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a ninja."

"What type is Andy?" Dustin asked, curious to know more about the girl. A small smile spread across Steve's face. "Andy is... different. She's different than the other girls. In a good way."

Dustin nodded. "Yeah, she seems pretty special, I guess."

"Yeah, she is."

They walked along the railway, Steve thinking fondly about the girl, not knowing where she was or what she was doing. With a Demogorgon on the loose, he hoped she was not in danger.

"But this girl's special too, you know. It's just like, something about her." 

Steve stopped, sending Dustin a serious look. "You're not falling in love with this girl, are you?" He asked and Dustin shook his head. "Uh, no." Relieved, they carried on walking. "Good, don't. She's only gonna break your heart and you're way too young for that shit."

With a trigger of emotion, Steve threw the meat chunk down forcefully. "Is that why you and Andy aren't together? She broke your heart?" Dustin questioned.

Steve sighed. "Yeah, kind of. But I broke hers too... way more. As I said, it's complicated." 

"You're a dumbass." Dustin stated, looking up at Steve. "Seriously, Andy is such a cool girl. Why did you let her go?"

"Because I'm a dumbass." He sniggered lightly, using the own boy's words. There was no other answer. The only thing he could do now was win her back.

--

Short but sweet, although I do apologise! I really wanted to include this scene but not in a chapter among other stuff. Hope everyone had nice valentines! Remember to vote and comment <3