31

RESURGENCE

----------

----------

THE MOOD IN THE BYERS HOUSE WAS SOMBER. Everyone was grieving over the loss of Bob and had no idea what to do next. Hopper was on the phone to government officials, trying to get them to send out some military forces but by the sound of his angry shouts, he wasn't having much luck. Joyce had slinked off to her bedroom to be alone, Andy didn't blame her. Her heart broke for the poor woman. She had just lost the man she loved in the very worst way. The kids lounged around the dining room table and on the couch opposite, Jonathan, who felt like he had let his family down once again, whispered soft apologies to a still unconscious Will. Nancy stood behind him, rubbing his shoulder in support.

Andy reclined against the kitchen counter next to Steve, who had his arm securely around her waist. She rested her head upon his shoulder. She didn't care who saw them, not even if her father looked and had a problem with it. She needed to be close to Steve and luckily for them, Nancy and all the others were too occupied to notice.

The image of Bob dying continuously played over and over again in Andy's head. Not even the presence of Steve was enough to stop that. It was followed by images of the scientist being mauled apart, running for her life separated from everybody and then ones of Eleven. They still had no idea where she was and her heart ached. She couldn't bear to lose her. Andy was sick of crying, yet it was all she wanted to do.

Her silence was worrying to Steve. He knew Andy well and knew her quietness meant something was seriously wrong. "Are you okay?" He asked softly looking down at the quiet girl. She hummed in response, not saying a proper word or looking up at him. Steve decided not to ask further, of course, she wasn't okay. Instead he placed a light kiss on the top of her head. Andy ignored how her and Steve had broken the barriers of what she had defined their friendship - no acquaintanceship- as. She didn't know where it would lead them, but right now there were bigger things to worry about.

Mike rose from his seat at the table and wandered over to a small table in the corridor nearby where a collection of puzzles and brainteasers sat. Bob had brought them around when Will was off sick from school, before he found out everything was far from normal. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" He said wistfully, turning back to the rest of them who shook their heads. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fund-raiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. Pretty awesome, right?"

They all chorused in agreement and a smile tugged at Andy's lips at the fond thought. If it wasn't for Bob the boys wouldn't have their favourite club. "We can't let him die in vain." He declared, walking back to the table with one of the puzzles in his hand.

"What do you want to do, Mike? The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demodogs on our own." Dustin said voice raised. He sounded as defeated as Andy felt.