11

MONSTER HUNTING

PART 1

----------

----------

AT THE STATION, ANDY SAT IN AN UNCOMFORTABLE WOODEN CHAIR WITH HER HANDCUFFED HANDS ON HER LAP. She fidgeted nonstop and next to her, Nancy held a makeshift icepack to the side of Jonathan's injured head. It felt like they had been there for hours. They all watched the clock tick by painfully slowly. Time moved by even slower when Andy thought about her dad storming through those doors and giving her the telling off of a lifetime.

She narrowed her eyes at Officer Callahan, who sat behind his desk. She thought maybe if she glared hard enough he'd turn to ash. When his physical form remained, Andy groaned and flopped back in her seat.

"Not going to work, Andy." The officer said, a slight glee to his voice that irritated her even more. He quite possibly had to be the dumbest and worst police officer she had ever met, and yet there he was with an alarming amount of power over her.

"Come on, Callahan." She whined. "Let's make a deal. You uncuff me, tell my dad I had nothing to do with it and I tell him how great you're doing at your job. That you deserve a big fat raise."

Callahan scoffed. "The Chief's not that dumb."

Andy frowned at the officer's words, who had just inadvertently admitted he was bad at his job. She then started to chuckle at his stupidity, making Callahan's face crinkle. "You know what I mean!"

Outside a car's door slammed. Everyone looked to the open window to see Hopper and Joyce Byers emerging from Hopper's truck. Andy shut her eyes and took a deep breath, preparing for the shouting that was about to go down. When she heard the door to the station unlock she opened her eyes. Hopper leaned over his daughter with a face of fury. "You." He said accusingly, finger pointing her way. "My office now."

Andy stood to her feet to follow her father, but her movement was restricted from the cuffs that were still tight around her wrists. Hopper noticed and gestured to the aloof officer. "Take them off."

"But Chief-"

"Now." He snapped and Callahan begrudgingly stomped over to Andy and pulled a small silver key from his pocket. He shoved it into the metal restraints, the handcuffs came apart with a satisfying click. Andy stuck her tongue out like a child at the officer, who could only watch on annoyed.

Andy rubbed her wrists as she followed her dad into his small office. She took a seat at his desk, while Hopper sat on the other side pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'm sorry and I know you're angry but-"

"I'm not angry."

Those three words were something Andy never thought she would hear her dad say. Especially, at the situation she was in. "You're not?" She asked slowly as she still felt he was a ticking time bomb about to go off at any second or sudden movement.