24

NEXT DAY CONSEQUENCES

----------

THE SUN CREPT THROUGH THE CURTAINS WAKING ANDY UP FROM HER DEEP SLUMBER. Slowly she opened her eyes, squinting in an attempt to sharpen the blurred images. As she sat up the room swirled. She raised a delicate hand to her pounding head that hurt an excruciatingly amount. Trying to ignore the sandpaper feeling in her mouth and nausea in her stomach, she glanced round to see she wasn't in her own bedroom, but Steve's.

With a slow movement to avoid damage to her aching body, she peered over the edge of the bed to see Steve himself. He laid on the floor with only a single blanket and pillow, but looking comfy nonetheless with this arms flung above his head and mouth wide open. "Steve." She hissed, rubbing at her eyes clumped with leftover makeup. She felt gross and was sure she looked it too.

The boy groaned from tiredness and grunted a few inaudible words that Andy couldn't work out but didn't wake up. Andy sighed in annoyance and nudged him hard with her foot that hung over the edge of the bed. "Steve." She hissed louder and he woke with a startled jump. "Who died!?"

Andy cringed at the sudden noise that felt like it roughly shook her entire brain. "Me." She stated with a grumble. "Or at least it feels like it."

Steve pushed the blankets off his legs and steadily stood up. Even though he wasn't hungover the effort it took to look after a drunk Andy had exhausted him. He lazily pointed to the glass of water on his bedside table he had left for Andy the night before. "Drink." He ordered. Andy saw the glass and gulped it down, the liquid an instant delight to her dry mouth and throat.

Once she had finished the water she held the empty glass on her lap. She felt it settle ontop her stomach alongside a lake of alcohol and had to resist the urge to gag.

"What happened last night?" She groaned, staring down at her body that wore the same black dress from the party but was now stained with drink. Fearing she looked her absolute worst she rose her hand to her hair to feel it knotted and resembling a rat's nest.

"You can't handle your drink." Steve sniggered, pulling a fresh t-shirt over his head. Andy thought back to the night before. It was hazy and incoherent, but she remembered drinking; a lot, stumbling over and Billy. Oh no, flirting with Billy. She looked to Steve to see his reaction, but his back was turned as he rummaged through his clothes drawer.

Despite a number of memories, or more likely nightmare flashbacks, coming to her a few things still remained a confusion. "I don't understand." She muttered rubbing at her forehead. "Why am I here? What about Nancy? Is she here?"

Steve paused, instantly stopping what he was doing and posture growing rigid. Andy noticed his strange reaction to the question and frowned. "No." He answered and exhaled deeply. "We broke up."

Andy's stomach felt heavy in shock. She had never seen that coming, but now it had and she couldn't pinpoint exactly how she felt. Sorrowful, guilty, stunned. "I'm sorry." She managed to get out in simple terms, hands shaking.