21

THE NEW NORMAL

PART 2

----------

----------

ANDY GLARED AT THE FOUR THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD BOYS, who sat around a square table in Mike Wheeler's basement playing Dungeons & Dragons.

"Hey." She said sternly with her arms crossed facing them. As if she was invisible or making no noise at all, they ignored her. "Hey!" She shouted for a second time, clapping her hands together to get their attention. This time they all begrudgingly drew their gaze away from their game and looked at her.

"Yes?" One of them pepped up.

She took a deep breath in, ready to rant. Then began. "Listen, the only reason Mrs. Wheeler has me babysit you bunch of morons is because I'm the Chief's daughter and I'm meant to be responsible, but we all know that's a load of bull. Now, I'd love to let you stay up all night playing your little game, but the truth is I can't get fired because I need the cash. Since I'm no longer living with them, stupid Bill persuaded my mom to cut my allowance in half and Jordache are releasing a new line of jeans and I want in. So, you're gonna wrap up the game, put your coats on and leave. Got it?"

Since the events of last year, Karen Wheeler had decided she'd feel much more reassured if the boy's party and Mike especially had some extra supervision. Therefore, she enlisted the help of Andy; as if the girl didn't already have enough on her plate to handle. However, she accepted since she did need the money. The boys didn't mind her company though, they liked Andy. She was more like a friend rather than a babysitter or carer. She'd laugh and joke around with them, however, it was times like these when her authority would bubble to the surface.

"Yes, Andy." They all chorused and while sulking started to clear up their things. Once they had finished, Andy made sure Dustin and Lucas got off safely on their bikes, waited for Jonathan to pick up Will and then said goodnight to Mike. Mrs. Wheeler gave her a meekly $5 dollars, thanking her for her time and wishing her well.

As Andy began her walk back to the cabin she decided to put her money in her car fund, rather than towards a new pair of jeans. She never use to be nervous about walking around Hawkins in the dark, but since the scary events of last year, it had become a little more frightening.

The streetlamps flickered, poorly lighting up the path with their yellow haze. On both sides of the road were typical suburban houses. Andy enjoyed glancing into their homes as she walked, seeing families happy made her feel safer. She pulled her coat tighter around her, plowing on and eager to get home.

A few minutes later Andy heard a car approaching from behind her, she thought nothing of it. Most likely someone running some errands around the town she decided, but as she sensed it slow down next to her, she panicked. She kept her head down, walking faster to try and deter the car away, but then the voice that came out of it made her less terrified, but much more annoyed.