𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟹: 𝚂𝚝𝚎𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚊𝚟𝚒𝚘𝚛

"We've been trying for months, sir

"We've been trying for months, sir. I don't think it's going to happen."

"It has to happen," Dr. Brenner seethed. His gaze was fixed intently on One through the glass window that separated them. "Again!" Dr. Brenner shouted into the microphone before him, simultaneously slamming his hand against the table it sat on.

The microphone screeched from his volume and pierced One's ears. Tears streamed down her face as she pressed her hands against the sides of her head. She had been trying so hard, but it wasn't working. She was unable to replicate the portal she opened for Mr. Sanchez, the portal into a different time. And Papa was mad.

"I told you to find this woman!" Dr. Brenner slapped a picture against the window for One to see. "Now find her, but in 1942!"

"It doesn't work like that..." One tried to explain but she cowered in fear when Dr. Brenner's face became several shades redder.

"I don't care how it works, just do it!"

One took a few steps closer to study the picture better. She memorized every minuscule detail about the woman; the wrinkles around her eyes, the scar above her right eyebrow, every unique curl in her wild, white hair...

"Now!"

One wiped away the tears and stared deep into Dr. Brenner's eyes. She focused on the blackness of his pupils and envisioned them as tiny portals. In the portals she pictured the woman and 1942, and soon enough a portal opened between her and Dr. Brenner.

The portal cut off her view of Dr. Brenner's face, but she knew quickly enough that she had made him even angrier when she heard a familiar voice come from the other side: Mr. Munson.

"Brenner?" Mr. Munson asked in exasperation from the other side. "What do you want?"

One didn't give Dr. Brenner time to respond before she snapped the portal shut in shame and embarrassment. Dr. Brenner's gaze met her once more and she shriveled under its intensity.