𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟺: 𝙰𝚗𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚜

One and James had been trekking the barren wasteland that they had accidentally been transported to for three years

One and James had been trekking the barren wasteland that they had accidentally been transported to for three years. They had become accustomed to how the strange world worked and knew where to go for shelter and how to avoid the monsters. They had had several more run-ins after the incident with One's childhood home, but with One's ability to use electricity and James' newfound memory of his own abilities, the monsters didn't stick around long.

After time the drugs Dr. Brenner had injected in James began to wear off and pieces of his memory came back. He didn't remember everything and he still couldn't remember his life before the Lab, but he at least was able to remember One and the strong friendship they had.

One had tried to summon a portal back several times during the first year but when they still weren't working she gave up. The two had basically accepted that this was going to be their life forever. At least it was slightly better than the Lab. They had their freedom. 

They slowly made their way across the country during their three years. None of the cars they found worked and neither knew how to drive anyways so they journeyed on foot. They had made it from New York down to the tip of Florida, staying in places until they were no longer safe.

On this particular day, the two had their feet buried in the sand on a beach in a small town on the coast of Florida. The black sand stained their bare feet from all the ash that was mixed in but neither cared. The sound of the ocean waves lapping against the shore put them at ease and allowed them to imagine for a split second that they were in paradise.

Having never seen the ocean in the world they came from, they had nothing to compare their current view to but both agreed that it was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen. Well, in James' case, the second most beautiful thing.

James couldn't help but look over and admire One's silhouette as she stared out to sea. Her blonde hair had grown out and was blowing in the ocean breeze. Her blue eyes matched the sea spray that struck their faces. They were both about 17 now and having spent every second of the past few integral years of their growth together changed things. Changed feelings.