𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟼: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙵𝚘𝚐

One cautiously approached the dilapidated Byers' home, her ears alert for any signs that she wasn't alone

One cautiously approached the dilapidated Byers' home, her ears alert for any signs that she wasn't alone. The grass snickered beneath her feet as she crossed into the uncertainty of the open. An assortment of pains throughout her body directed her to the exact locations of her numerous injuries as the adrenaline from the big fight and her last minute escape began to wear off. She had made it about halfway across the Byers' yard before she found herself limping.

It took what felt like ages to finally reach the front door, but once she was inside she slammed it behind her and fell against it onto the ground. She sat there for a moment to catch her breath when a sound jolted her back to her aching feet.

"Jonathan, don't forget that Will is going over to Mike's after school!" a faint voice echoed through the living room.

It sounded like...Joyce?

One immediately began searching the house for other lifeforms but quickly realized that she was alone. She must have just heard it in her head. She had been through a lot in the last twenty-four hours and was clearly sleep-deprived. After feeling content that she was safe for the time being, One collapsed onto the faded couch so that she could rest somewhere a little more comfortable than the floor. Key word being "little".

"I'm sorry, sweetie, but I have to go to work."

There it was again! One sat upright and glanced around the room uncomfortably. Worse than the thought that she might be going crazy was the pain of hearing the voice of someone she may never see again.

"The bad men and the monsters can't get you anymore. You're safe here."

A feeling of déjà vu shot through One's body and sent her hairs on edge. She had heard Joyce say that before. One tried to discern when and where she had heard those words when something else began to overtake her thoughts; a cluster of letters repeated themselves over and over in her head. She tried to shake them lose but they only got louder...

C...

How had she not seen it?

O...