one

"What's all this? I thought we were gonna be individuals this year!"

Esme chuckled, smiling at Erin and Orla as Clare began to rant about how she wasn't "going to be individual on her own"

"I think that defeats the point in individuality, Clare" Esme said, rolling her eyes and walking alongside Orla who was sticking her arms out like she was an aeroplane.

The girls soon arrived at Dennis' wee shop, picking out the sweets that they wanted as Orla continued to act strangely to which none of the girls questioned, used to her weirdness.

"You not getting anything?" Erin asked Clare

"I'm trying to do this fast" Clare said as she smelt the sweets "for Ethiopia"

"What is it with you and Africa?" Erin spat angrily

"Will you sponsor me?" Clare asked

"How much?" Esme asked

"Two pound" Clare said

"Two pound?" Erin scoffed "Catch yourself on"

Clare turned to Erin, an angry frown settled on her usually bubbly face.

"Father Conway showed us a video and there's this wee fella, Kamal" Clare began to rant "He's only ten and every morning, he walks twenty five miles to the nearest well"

"Does he just really enjoy wells, aye?"

Esme glanced at Orla, seeing a serious look her face as she couldn't help but chuckle at Clare's reaction.

"Twenty five miles?" Erin asked

"Yeah" Clare nodded

"How far is that?" Erin asked

"Far" Esme said with a slight nod

"How far are we talking?" Erin asked

"From here to Ballybofey" Clare said with a sigh

"Shut up" Erin said "From here to Ballybofey?"

"You'd be knackered" Esme mumbled

"Kamal is knackered" Clare said

"Are you sure Kamal isn't exaggerating?" Erin scoffed.

Esme rolled her eyes, pulling out two pounds and putting it into Clare's hand and smiling softly at her friend.

-

After being kicked out of Dennis' shop and an awkward encounter with David Donnelly, the girls finally arrived at the bus stop.

"I'm surprised you gave Clare your money" Erin mumbled "Usually you'd buy the bag of sweets and then keep them for later"

Esme shrugged, about to respond until she heard the sound of her best friends voice.