twenty eight

Esme pulled her freshly dyed platinum blonde hair into a ponytail, applying the sparkly lipgloss to her lips as she analysed every last part of her makeup

She pulled on the strapless neon bodycon dress that Michelle had leant to her and threw her black bomber jacket over it as she slid her feet into her white converse.

A knock at the door made her rush downstairs, placing bracelets onto her wrist, as she shouted a quick "goodbye!" to her mum.

She rushed out the house, following Clare down her driveway to where Michelle and James were waiting impatiently.

James' eyes widened and his mouth dropped in shock as Esme walked towards, smiling at his blue checkered shirt that she'd recommended him to wear.

"Esme" James said "You look like a model"

"Thanks" Esme mumbled

"I think he means, you look absolutely gorgeous" Clare said kindly

"That's so sweet, thank you" Esme blushed

The group walked towards the venue, James walked closely next to Esme as the girl smiled at him, placing her hands in the pockets of her jacket.

"Motherfuckers!" Michelle shouted.

Erin and Orla raced over to their friends, Esme immediately pulled Orla in for a hug as she passed her a lollipop making Esme grin.

"Erin! Orla! Aw, for Christ's sake! I said you could invite one friend to the reception! One!" Mary scorned

"They don't come separately" Erin said

"Aye, we're pack animals, Mary" Esme responded

"I love your hat, Mrs Quinn" James complimented

"Thanks, son" Mary blushed

"Dickhead" Michelle growled

"Well, no old carry-on" Mary said with a sigh "Do you hear me? We're in enough bother as it is. Be on your best behaviour"

"Completely! You'll have no trouble from us, Mary" Michelle smiled innocently.

The gang watched as Mary walked back to the table that she'd previously been sat in and sighed in relief when they realised Mary was definitely going to let them stay.

"Who wants to do drugs?" Michelle asked

"Me" Orla replies

"I'm sorry?" Clare spoke flatly

"Nothing heavy" Michelle said reassuringly "Just a bit of blow"

"And where are you planning on getting a bit of blow from?" Erin asked

Michelle began to walk, with the group following closely behind until she stopped and turned to face them all.

Somehow, James' arm had managed to snake around Esme's waist and he held onto her protectively, making the girl smile softly.

"You know Macca?" Michelle asked

"I can't say I do" Erin said

"Aye, Macca" Michelle said "Big Macca".

Everyone shook their heads, silently telling Michelle that they didn't have a clue what she was on about.

"Everybody knows Macca" Michelle said

"We don't" Clare said

"Wise up! Macca?" Michelle sighed angrily "Macca. Macca.Macca!"

"That's not helping!" Clare shouted

"Macca" Michelle repeated "Tall fella, dark hair, wonky nose from when he used to do the bare-knuckle boxing. I know you all know him. Look, he's loads of tattoos, big scar under his left eye. He was kicked out of Creggan for joyriding!"

Everyone shook their heads, informing Michelle that they had no clue who she was on about.

"Well, he sounds delightful!" Clare said

"He really does" Orla agreed

"He said he can hook us up" Michelle grinned "Class or what?"

"I'm not sure" Erin whined

"Well, I am" Clare stated "It's not happening. Drugs are for mugs, folks!"

Esme and Michelle stared at Clare, shaking their heads as the other stared at Michelle in pre confusion.

"Congratulations, Clare" Michelle spat sarcastically "That may be the dickiest sentence that anyone's ever said"

"Come on, Michelle, what makes you think you can trust this Macca person, at all?" James asked

"Well, he's not English for a start" The rebellious brunette said

"James has a point" Erin sighed

"No, he doesn't!" Michelle groaned.

The group exhaled a collective sigh, all of them debating the pros and cons of Michelle's ideas in their minds.

"What if he gives us dodgy gear?" Erin asked worridley

"Dodgy gear?!" Erin asked "What is this, The Bill?!"

"I cannot believe you're even discussing it" Clare whined

"Let's live a little, for fuck's sake, i'm sick of you being a coward!" Michelle muttered

Esme stepped out of James' grip, walking towards Michelle who grinned as they high fived each other.

"I'm in" Esme smirked

"Esme, seriously?" James raised an eyebrow
"Lighten up" Esme said "It's all fun"

"I can't believe you" James said and yet, he didn't remove his arm from her waist as he stared at her with disappointment in his eyes

"I want no part of this" Clare said loudly "And if you guys do decide to go through with it, then, I'm sorry, but any friendship we have is over"

Suddenly, 'Rock The Boat' cane blasting through the speakers making everyone jump in excitement.

"IT'S ROCK THE BOAT!" Clare shouted

"Happy fucking days!" Michelle cheered

"Quick!" Erin shouted

"Bagsy the front!" Orla screeched

James dragged Esme so she was in front of him, sighing as she giggled excitedly with Michelle.

"You're such a wreck-a-buzz" Michelle said

"Look, Michelle, drugs are illegal, drugs are addictive, but perhaps most importantly, in this country you can lose your kneecaps if you're caught doing them" Clare said "You and Esme can do what you want, have your acts of rebellion but I like my kneecaps. They suit my knees"

"You do have cracking kneecaps" Orla smiled

"Is that true?" James asked

"Sort of" Esme responded.

The dance was cut short by a thud and quickly, a body was laying on the floor, lifeless and still.

•••

A/N:

thank you for 3k reads!

i'm so grateful for all of you
and all the love and support.

please be sure to leave a comment and vote for each chapter.

adore y'all

- orla x