forty five

Esme woke up to the sound of pounding on her front door, immediately groaning as she threw her duvet off her, glancing at her alarm clock next to her and gasping when she saw the digital numbers

4:46am

She exhaled a deep sigh as she trotted downstairs, tying up the fabric of her fluffy dressing gown and opening the door to reveal her boyfriend, with a goofy grin plastered on his face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, her voice still croaky

"Three things" He ignored her question "Get dressed, don't ask questions and finally, trust me"

"James.." She trailed off, raising an eyebrow

"Trust me" He smirked

She invited him inside and then went upstairs, throwing on a hoodie and a pair of jeans and white trainers, rubbing her eyes sleepily but eventually deciding to just go along with whatever James had planned.

After going downstairs, she immediately noticed the picnic basket in James' hand and him continuously glancing at his watch, sighing deeply.

"It's so early" She whined

He ignored her, beginning to leave the house whilst she grabbed the keys from their hook, locking the house door behind her as she left.

James grabbed her hand, walking at her pace but staying quite, making her even more suspicious with every step she took.

"It's a bit early to have a picnic" She joked "And we've got school tomorrow"

James didn't respond, only smiling softly as he squeezed her hand, taking her down a public footpath that lead to hill that could overlook Derry.

After climbing up the hill and finding what Esme assumed to be the perfect spot, James set the picnic basket down, grabbing a small blanket from inside it and laying it across the grass.

"Sunrise is at 5am" James shrugged "I thought we could have breakfast"

Esme grinned, as she watched the sky gradually get lighter with every second that passed, the sun beginning to coat every aspect of the peaceful city.

The birds sang and the wind cascaded a gentle breathe across the hill, not being cold enough to cause discomfort.

James passed Esme a couple of strawberries, which she happily took, throwing one back at James who managed to catch it in his mouth, cheering obnoxiously.

"Do you do this often?" Esme asked "I mean, come here to watch the sunrise?"

"Not really" James shook his head "This isn't the first time but it's not like I do it all the time"

She nodded softly, leaning her head against his shoulder as they both tucked into the small feast that James had prepared, grinning happily.

James passed her a travel mug, filled with coffee and she took it, chuckling slightly, as they passed it between each other, both taking delicate sips.