thirty eight

Esme woke up, rolling out of bed and grabbing a towel as she jumped in the shower, allowing the hot water to scorch her body, instantly feeling refreshed

She applied minimal makeup, just mascara and lipgloss. She straightened her hair, letting it fall against her shoulders as she threw on her school uniform and grabbed her backpack, walking downstairs.

She wasn't surprised when her Mother was nowhere to be seen, yet she couldn't help feeling disappointment flow through her veins, the sadness always crept up on her when she least expected it.

Esme walked out of her house, her lateness meaning there would be no point in waiting for Erin, Clare and Orla.

She ran towards the bus stop, smiling in relief when her friends were still huddled together, chattering amongst themselves.

Esme smiled at James, receiving a large smile back from him and he shifted towards her, throwing an arm around her shoulder and hugging her slightly, making her smile and stare at the ground.

"Good Morning" James said

"James, don't be such a fuck" Michelle snarled

"Michelle, he was being nice" Esme defended the boy she liked so much

"I don't care" Michelle shrugged.

Luckily, James hardly got offended by Michelle's derogatory comments and just shrugged them off, knowing it was her weird way of proving she enjoyed his company.

Once they'd arrived at school, all students were directed towards the hall for an 'emergency' assembly.

"Any word from Chelsea?" Clare asked

Esme didn't have a clue who Chelsea was, not did she care. She just knew that she was somehow related to the president and that she would be in Derry when the president arrived.

"Not yet" Erin shook her head

"I can't believe it" Clare frowned "We sent that letter over a week ago. You're sure you got the address right?"

"Chelsea Clinton, the White House, America" Orla said

"It just doesn't make any sense" Clare frowned

"Did you send it first class?" Michelle asked

"We're not made of money" Erin scoffed.

The group took their usual spots in the hall, standing together as they were forced to listen to Jenny and her friends perform their own rendition of 'Silent Night', making everyone in the hall either uncomfortable or annoyed.

"Great stuff altogether" Sister Michelle applauded lazily "A fitting rendition of what I consider to be the most godawful song ever written"

Esme snorted, covering her mouth with her hand as others chuckled around her, the girl's infectious laugh hard to resist.