twenty

"What rhymes with ride?" Michelle asked with a sigh

The teens were sat around the table, attempting to create fresh and creative poetry overnight, a task that seemed almost impossible.

"Bide" Clare answered

"Bide?" Michelle scoffed "What the fuck does bide mean? Bide. That's not a word"

"It is a word, Michelle" Clare argued

"Bide?" Michelle shook her head making her brown curls fall around her face "You've pure made that up"

Orla lifted up her piece of paper, holding it up so that it faced James and Esme. She smiled proudly as her friends squinted their eyes.

"What do you think, James?" Orla asked with a smile "You've got red eyes cos I ran out of brown"

"His eyes are green" Esme sighed

"Now you tell me" Orla scoffed.

Erin sighed, rubbing her forehead aggressively.

"Ok" Erin said "So, I'm trying not to think too much. Just to sort of let it flow through me"

"That's minging, Erin" Esme said

"Here's what I have so far" Erin said.

Erin lifted her paper up dramatically, making everyone stare at her in complete confusion.

"You know we belong together. You and I forever and ever. No matter where you are you're my guiding star".

The table fell silent as James ran a hand through his hair, the curls neck it. messy.

"Isn't that the theme tune to home and away?" He asked

"Is it? Aw, for god's sake!" Erin groaned

Esme giggled, lifting her hands up to play with James' brunette curls. He smiled softly, watching as she smiled at him whilst she smoothed the curls out.

Suddenly, the door swung open and in walked Joe, Sarah, Mary and Gerry.

The teenagers panicked, stuffing the chocolates and sweets into their mouths to stop the adults from knowing they'd eaten them all.

"Shit!" Erin exclaimed.

The adults stopped in front of the table, glaring at the teenagers as they stared back at them with wide, fearful eyes.

"Sweet Jesus" Mary gasped

"Mammy, we can explain" Erin began to protest with her mouth full.

"Not the Christmas cupboard?" Mary shook her head in disbelief.

"They've had the very tunnock's" Sarah snaked

"Animals, the lot of you!" Mary shouted

"Mary, we needed energy for our poetry" Esme whined