thirty four

"I hate to do this, Clare" Erin mumbled

The group were sat in the middle of the shopping centre, on a narrow bench that stretched out across the middle, long enough for the group to sit on as they waited for their new friend to join them.

"I've said it's fine" Clare scowled

Esme was unusually quiet. She wouldn't laugh at the jokes James had made on the journey down to the shopping center, her eyes seemed dead,
almost lifeless.

"Really?" Erin asked hopefully.

The bags under Esme's eyes were clearly visible to everyone, likewise was her pathetic attempt at covering them up by using the cheap foundation from her mother's bedroom.

"I'm happy for you" Clare declared, her angry scowl contradicting her words

"Okay" Erin nodded It's just, you don't sound happy for me"

"Well, I am" Clare uttered "I'm over the moon".

Erin smiled happily, whilst James glanced over at Esme in confusion, his heart breaking at her frail state.

"Great, because me and John Paul are just at a really crucial point in our relationship" Erin discussed

"You've strong-armed him into taking you to the prom, Erin" Michelle teased her ecstatic friend "Doesn't mean you're in a relationship"

"We'll see about that" Michelle proclaimed.

The group was silenced when Mae appeared, her fierce attitude making them gulp in fear, whilst smiling in adoration of her.

"Hiya! So, this is where the gays hang out, is it?" She asked "What's happening?"

"Erin's just sacked Clare as her prom date" Esme mumbled "Just so she can take a fella she fancies"

"Bad craic, Erin" Mae mocked "Very bad craic"

"That is not true" Erin commented

"Isn't it?" James asked

"Right well, I mean, there is some truth in it" Erin said.

Mae drew the attention back to herself, as she smiled widely at Clare, making the blonde girl frown slightly.

"Come with me" Mae suggested

"Really?" Clare asked

"Really?" Erin asked

"Really" Mae clarified "It'll be a laugh and i'm definitely an upgrade. Just a wee joke, there"

"Yeah, it was" Erin said "It was dead funny"

"What do you say?" Mae asked Clare

"Sounds good to me" Clare smiled.

Everyone smiled at Clare, except Esme which was out of character for her, as they all knew how much a prom date would mean to Clare, and especially going with a girl.