twenty nine

Esme stood outside the room where  the dead body was, lying in a coffin that didn't have a lid on it

"She really suits being dead, doesn't she?" Orla said

Esme stifled a laugh as Clare knocked on the door, gently pushing it open so that all their bodies could fit through the gap.

"Can we come in?" Clare whispered

"Why are you whispering?" Erin asked

"I don't know" Clare shrugged.

The group shuffled in through the door, crowding around the coffin as Erin sighed loudly.

"Thanks for coming, guys" Erin said with a sad tone "It's nice to have a bit of support at this very difficult time"

"You thought she was a dick" Esme frowned

"I never said that!" Erin defended herself

"You did, Erin" Orla nodded

"I definitely heard you say it!" Michelle informed her friend.

Meanwhile, James was staring at the body with wide eyes. His face was pale and his mouth was open in complete shock and disbelief.

"Okay right, can I just check something?" James asked "Everybody else can see the dead body, right?"

"It's just Bridie!" Erin said

"It's Bridie's corpse" James said "It's Bridie's dead corpse"

"It's her wake" Esme said

"What were you expecting?" Michelle asked

"Haven't you ever seen a dead body before?" Clare asked

"Of course not!" James said

"Christ, the English are weird" Michelle scoffed.

Suddenly, Orla leant toward and played her hands on either side of Bridie's face.

"You can touch her if you want" Orla smiles

"Why the hell would I want to touch her?!" James asked

"It's nice" Orla smiled

"Stop it!" James insisted

"It's just a dead body, James" Clare sighed "We're all going to be one someday"

"Oh, thanks for that, Clare" James whined "Yeah, that's helped".

Everyone's eyes averted to Michelle when she coughed obnoxiously.

"It really makes you think" Michelle said "Death. It just makes you want to do everything and just, like, try everything"

"What's going on, Michelle?" Clare asked