nineteen

The group were stood in the assembly hall, James next to Esme like he usually was

"As you all know, at the beginning of term, the bishop graciously bestowed a beautiful piece of religious art onto our lady immaculate college the enchanting child of Prague" Sister Michael stated.

Everyone watched in confusion as Sister Michael removed the cloth from over the statue.

"I still don't get what it's supposed to be" James said in a confused voice

"It's Jesus as a wain" Michelle replied

"I don't get it, why has he got a big red hat on?" James said

"Nobody knows" Esme said

"It was the bishop's wish that he be passed around all the schools in the derry diocese" Sister Michael said "So, therefore, we are joined this morning by Mr Malone, headmaster of St.Benedict's, so that the handover ceremony can take place"

Sister Michael sighed, staring at the statue with a sad look plastered on her face.

"Mr Malone, I fear you may have had a wasted journey" The nun said "I've thought about it, and I'd much rather just hold on to him, actually. He brightens up my office"

Sister Michael glared at Michelle and Esme, her eyes showing pure anger.

"He doesn't answer back" She said "I like the fella. And if the bishop has a problem with that, he can take it up with me. Now, what else was there?"

Sister Michael glanced at the sheet in front of her, frowning slightly as she glanced at the writing in front of her.

"Sadly, sister Patrick has decided to leave us" The nun said "She's returning to her missionary work, educating the heathen inhabitants of a primitive and savage place"

"She's taken a teaching post in belfast, sister" Another nun said

"Precisely" Sister Michael replied "The board of governors promised me that her replacement would arrive today, but as usual they were talking out of their-"

Suddenly, the door banged open and everyone turned their heads to see a woman taking off a helmet and shaking her fiery red hair.

"I believe you've been expecting me"

-

The class were sat in their english classroom, watching as the teacher wrote her name on the board and then flicked her chalk across the room.

Esme rolled her eyes making James chuckle and throw a pen at her which made her throw one back.

"What is it we should be doing?" Jenny asked

""What should you be doing?" Now, there's the question" The teacher said

Everyone watched in confusion as the teacher challenged Jenny, making them feel extremely anxious.