Chapter 8

♕

Overwhelmed.

She's been crying for a few minutes now—perhaps hours—she doesn't know. She's feeling all sort of things: guilt, shame, hurt, unwelcomed. It's too much for her that she feels like she's going to explode.

She heard him, every word. She wished she didn't seek for Jennie's company to get her mind off some things. She wished she didn't hear it at all. She wished he didn't say all those words.

But he did.

Jennie had tried to run after her, but she can't face her or anyone at all. She felt like running away, but she has nowhere to go. She has no one to run to. She felt even more alone than ever. She wished her mother was with her. She cursed herself for thinking of her mother at a time like this, as it only made her heart feel heavier. Tears won't stop streaming down her cheeks. She cried and cried until she fell asleep.

She woke up and realized it was already nightfall. She wished she had not woken up for she knows she won't be able to sleep with her head filled with thoughts. She decided to go for a walk, hoping to tire herself that maybe it will help her fall asleep later. She tried her best not to be seen by anyone. Now she finds herself in the garden, distracting herself and admiring the flowers. She loves flowers, she hasn't seen a lot of them. In her past, the land is either covered by snow or is too cold for flowers to grow. She picked a white rose, slightly feeling bad for the one that takes care of the garden. She stared at it and admired its beauty.

She sighed as her mind wandered at the events that had happened to her, particularly this morning. Anger steered within her. "How could he say those words" she thought to herself unknowingly tightening her hold on the stem of the rose. She too did not want this marriage. She too did not have a choice. Maybe she did, but she will not choose war. At the same time, she feels guilt, if she hasn't shown up this wouldn't have happened. To her. To him. She closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh once again.

After a few moments, she decided to go back to her room and made peace with the fact that she will be sleepless tonight. As she neared her room, she noticed it was open. She wondered if she forgot to close it earlier.

Slowly, she walked in and saw someone standing with his back facing her. Sensing her presence, he turned to face her and she almost wanted to run away. But her feet stayed rooted on the ground, her heart suddenly felt heavier. She took a deep breath and held her hand up to her chest only to realize she was holding a rose.