Chapter 22

♕

"I think we should stop and rest." Lisa panted.

It's now late in the afternoon and they are still deep in the woods. "No." Jake responded firmly as he surveyed the site. His eyes darting from one place to another as he moved ahead.

"You need to rest. You're wounded, let me at least tend to it." she told him as she took long strides to keep up with him.

"I'm fine. Will you please keep up? Instead of moving your mouth try moving your feet a little faster." he countered.

And they're back to arguing. Lisa let out a scoff putting both arms across her chest.

"Alright! Fine!"

She tried to keep her calm and blew her bangs in frustration. 'Just whatever happened to my caring husband last night?' she asked herself.

"Why don't you just say that you're tired and wanted to take a rest?" Jake shook his head at her response.

"I'm perfectly fine!" sneering from behind him.

"Did I ever tell you that you are extremely stubborn?" he told her—still walking ahead of her.

"Stubborn." she said incredulously, halting her steps.

"Stubborn. This is what I get for caring for his well-being." she mumbled to herself as she continued to move forward stomping her feet.

Jake smiled to himself. It didn't seem like she wanted him to hear what she said, but he did. And it was the perfect chance to tease her. Looking over his shoulder, he smirked at his wife "Did you just admit that you care for me?"

Her eyes widened before she yelled at him "No!". He didn't fail to get a glimpse of her reddened cheeks.

"Well come on then." he continued to walk ahead.

It's probably irritating her husband, but this is how she is dealing with what happened. She needed to keep talking or even argue. She cannot take the silence, for it only brings memories of the terror of the assault she's been through—from both the past and the recent incident. Even though both attempts of violation have failed, she feared that there will come a third time or a fourth, until someone fully succeeds to diminish her pride. The mere thought made her skin crawl with horror.

Another thought that troubled her was what happened during the assault. She barely remembers doing it, but she saw how it unfolded. She saw how icicles formed and shattered at her will. She felt the cold mist on her skin. But how? All her life she thought she didn't possess the ability. There were so many questions that it made her head hurt. She looked at her hands and asked herself did it truly happen?

Her thoughts got disrupted when her leg got caught in a thorny bush. She hissed in pain as she untangled herself from it and then she saw the markings on her wrist. Images of the incident came flashing before her. Frantically, she shoved the thorny bush off her leg just like how she was struggling to get off someone's grip. It took her a moment to realize that she was crying.