Chapter 10

♕

She couldn't sleep at all. Tomorrow is the big day. She's going to be married. She's going to be a Queen. But her heart is unsettled, not that it ever was. It's full of worry and guilt. She admits, ever since the King apologized to her, she had this glimmer of hope that maybe this marriage wouldn't be so bad. Maybe she—unknowingly—put too much faith on this promise of acceptance they had talked about. Every time her mind would tell her that this might work, something happens to prove her otherwise.

Ever since she saw the encounter between the King and mysterious lady, she had tried her best to avoid him. She doubts that he ever noticed but she can't face him. She feels too guilty that she was the reason of his sadness. That she was the one who got in the way of his happiness. He probably hated her. He meant every word he said back then, he can't look at her because she is a reminder of this... damned marriage—as what he calls it. He had to put up with her because it was his duty.

This is wrong, she thought to herself.

He wore a black mandarin collared finery. Golden silk embroidered the collar, the cuff and the linings of his frock coat. Under his coat he wore a white tailored fit tunic top and over it was a black tapestry vest. He wore a black trousers paired with knee length boots. His golden crown sits on top of his head with all its glory. He looked majestic, befitting his title.

He let out a deep sigh for the nth time. "I'm getting married" he kept telling himself repeatedly. To him it sounds as if he's trying to convince himself of the fact. He is nervous. Perhaps more than his coronation or even the battles he had won. He was no coward but the marriage terrified him. It would change everything.

He knew what marriage meant. To him it is a holy vow and for that he knew that he would devote himself on trying to make this marriage work. He prayed that he is strong enough to do so.

He closed his eyes and took a deep intake of breath. Slowly, he breathes it out. He hoped that in doing so, it would calm his nerves.

It didn't.

He was so distracted by his thoughts that he didn't notice Princess Jennie walk in. "Hey." she said softly. He jumped a little in shock, opening his eyes wide as if someone woke him up from a bad dream. This made his sister giggle.

"Are you okay?" laughter still laced her voice.