Chapter 37

♚

"Lisa!"

Jake called out. He had to let her know it was a mistake even though he does not understand how it came to happen. He had to let her know that Irabelle was just a friend. That she—Lisa—is all that mattered most to him. He had to stop her.

As he moved to chase after his wife, Irabelle grabbed his arm.

"Jake, I-I'm so sorry." she told him, her voice shaking. "I swear, I did not mean for any of this to happen. I... I was just sad to leave... and... I don't know what came over me, I was just overwhelmed." she winced at her lie. She knew what she had done and she can't say that she regret kissing him.

"Oh God. I'm so sorry." she continued to cry. "I didn't want to ruin our f-friendship like this Jake."

"I'm sorry as well Irabelle but..." Jake did not know what exactly to tell her. "But I must go to my wife."

Irabelle let go of his arm but then spoke hesitantly as he turned his back on her. "I would advise you not to."

The words made him halt. 

"What?" his tone was nothing but disbelief.

"I just...I feel that this is the least I could do, advice you not to make another mistake. She is hurt of what she saw, overwhelmed, and is in no doubt furious at you and I." Irabelle started. "She will not hear you out and I know you Jake, I know your temper...you don't want to do that when she's already upset. Don't do anything that you'll regret."

When she saw Jake considering what she was saying, she added "Leave her be for now. Let her calm down and explain that this was all a mistake. I am sure she will understand once the anger abated."

"I c-could also talk to her and explain." another lie.

Jake wanted to go to Lisa but he could not deny the sense behind Irabelle's words, he did not want to worsen the situation by getting into a heated argument with Lisa. A part of him is still trying to figure out what happened, the other part—still wishing this was nothing but a bad dream.

"I suppose you're right." his voice was grim. "Perhaps I need to be alone as well." He bid her goodbye and a quick—quite hesitant thank you—then left her.

Jake sat in his study for a couple of hours, holding his heads in his hands, his hair quite disheveled as if he had run his fingers through it many times. Irabelle kissed him. She never had any sort of feelings towards him, at least not anything more than friendship. If it was a different time then maybe he would've reacted differently, he would've been overjoyed because of it. But the kiss did not mean anything to him, it was a mistake. He had feelings for her a long time ago, he doesn't know when or how but he learned to accept that the thing between them can never be more than friendship. And it was a relief to him, to be able to accept that reality. Because somewhere deep in his mind, he knew it wasn't the kind of love he thought it to be.