Chapter 18

♚

"You're in charge now."

The King told Lord Raphael, putting his hand on his shoulders as he continued "I'm naming you temporary regent while I'm gone. I need someone I can trust here." Raphael, lord commander, responded with a tight nod.

"Get them home." Raphael's voice was firm, not a single doubt can be heard from what he just said.

The king tightened his grasp on Raphael's shoulder, as he too, responded with a convictive nod. Jin as well as Christian stayed behind to attend court matters and to keep the news of the princess and the queen's abduction from spreading. As it will only spread fear and chaos to the people.

The soonest they were informed of the news, the king gathered his council to get more information about the attack and he wasted no time to rally his troops in preparation to save the princess and the queen.

Vince surveyed the land of where the attack happened. Bodies of royal guards covered the ground. When he heard of the news, he felt like someone had crushed his heart into pieces. He insisted on investigating the attack, hoping to find a trail that will lead him to them. Crimson liquid covered the grass of his every step. Until something shiny caught his eye, he kneeled down as he picked it up. It was a hairpin. Jennie's hairpin. Worry took over once again. Horrifying thoughts flooded his mind. He needs to stay strong and believe that they are safe. That they are still alive. He held it tightly in his palms, looking up to the sky and letting out shaky breaths of frustration.

The king and his company are now in the deep of the woods. The sun had gone down and it's far too dark to continue the search. He grimaced at the thought of waiting till sunrise to move as he sat on the makeshift cot of his tent.

Jake sighed. He cannot bear to imagine what they are going through right now, they have to spend the dark night in the hands of the attackers. He balled his fist tight at the thought. Heaving another sigh, he run his fingers against his hair.

Ever since he found out about the attack, he had been worried beyond imagination. He had always been protective of his sister. He promised the late king he would keep her safe. Part of him blames himself for letting her attend a court matter without him, if he didn't, this wouldn't have happened. He'd never be able to forgive himself if anything happened to his sister.

His thoughts then wandered to his wife. He remembered how excited she was—even though she tried to hide it—before they left. A strange feeling washed over him, a strong feeling to scour the deep woods just to find her, to see her safe. He remembered that night he comforted her as she trembled with fear, he cannot imagine how she must be feeling right now. He doesn't know what happened in the past but right now, with this nightmare, he wanted to shield her from it.