Chapter 27

"I'm not sure if I like this."

Jay told August in a whisper as they lead the noblemen towards the throne room. They rode out to summon the nobles as soon as they could, Jake needs their help and they would not waste time if it means saving him. "We'll just have to see if the queen can sway them." August replied.

After Lisa have given the order to bring the noblemen to her, the elites have explained to her that it is her very own followers—the Eiran loyalists—that would not offer help to the King. She was surprised, she had thought that her union with Jake was enough to end the rivalry between two houses. But clearly, the rivalry goes deeper than that. It has been centuries and the rivalry still lives and this has infuriated Lisa—and partly felt responsible for Jake's current predicament. She felt even more driven to convince these nobles to answer to their king, and if not, to their queen.

"If she's able to convince Lord Gairon, then the other nobles would be convinced as well." August continued.

"That would be difficult." Jay said under his breath.

Difficult it is, for the said noble is already angry that he was forced to step foot at the castle where it reeks of Azaran supporters. Lord Gairon is a very wealthy noble and he alone would be able to provide enough men and horses to fight alongside Jake. But Lord Gairon is a stubborn man, his pride is far more important than anything else. He was convinced that the line of Eiran ended a very long time ago after House of Azaran took the throne. He would always say: 'History does not lie'. Years have already passed and most of the Eiran followers lived harmoniously in peace despite having an Azaran ruler. And so, when he heard the news of a direct descendant of house Eiran's union with the King, he was enraged and found it absurd. He found it insulting even, to make a fool out of them with such news and that it was nothing but a scheme to use them and their riches for Azaran's own good. 

"Alright lad, what are we doing here?" Lord Gairon irritably asked the two elites, who stood just a few steps down at each side of the throne that is facing the nobles. "Our time is precious, do not waste it."

"So is ours." August responded icily. He had the audacity to speak of precious time when Jake's fate hangs by a thread all because they would not answer to their King.

Just then, the huge doors of the throne room opened and echoed footsteps of the Queen and the rest of the elite that are escorting her—Jin to her left, Christian to her right and Raphael who walked just right behind her, his hand resting at the hilt of his sword that is attached to his belt. The noblemen stood aside to make way and clear the queen's path, even Lord Gairon would not deny that their presence was quite overwhelming.

Lisa made her way to sit on the throne with Christian on her right guiding her with each step just before he and Raphael settled to stand on each side of her seat. There was a tensed and deafening silence before she spoke.